Assistant Professor Aesthetics of Intelligence
Creative and collaborative design scientist with AI expertise
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingAssistant Professor Aesthetics of Intelligence within Future Everyday Group
Future Everyday bridges the gap between emerging technologies and people's everyday life.'
The Future Everyday cluster is a highly ambitious community of design researchers, concerned with understanding, exploring, and shaping an everyday life of individuals/small groups that encompasses the new reality of living and working, in spaces that are becoming more responsive, continuous and experiential in the future with emerging technologies. Currently, we focus on designing with technologies such as internet of things, wearables/soft things, small/local data, machine learning --- and designing for aesthetics in an everyday life with all the nuances and subtleties that are inherently dynamic, ever-changing and shaped by personal and collective values, needs and desires. We seek to better understand how to create the right conditions --- over time and space --- to allow human-technology relationships to grow and adapt to future situations.
Specific qualities for this position:
- Study and design aesthetic qualities of AI or ML embedded in designs and interaction
- Using AI and ML techniques to study and design for aesthetic qualities of human-system interaction, interaction towards collaboration between humans and systems, and intelligent system behavior
- Study and design multi-intentionality, explainability, negotiation and personalization of future computational systems embedded the in Everyday
- Interest in the aesthetics of digital craftsmanship and expression through complex systems of manufacturing.
- Interest in and experience of the making of design artefacts, samples and demonstrators.
To strengthen the FE group we are looking for the following qualities and competences:
- Expertise in R&D methodology
- Relevant PhD-degree
- Interdisciplinary background or expertise in working in interdisciplinary teams
- Expertise in AI, ML, Interactive System Design, Tangible Interaction, UX Design or Multimodal Interaction
- Digital Craftsmanship (e.g. using AI and ML techniques to study and design for aesthetic qualities of human-system interaction; versatility in algorithms, ML paradigms and fluency in state of the art ML technology for the purpose of sensing and information processing)
- Ability to use AI in expressive designs, as an interplay of materiality, interaction, and computation
- Ability to create bridges between research and education
- Designer skills and a feel for aesthetic qualities
- Track record in Design and HCI related conferences such as CHI, TEI, DIS, IUI, EICS or journals
- Willing to apply research in application areas such as Health, Home, Mobility, Vitality, Games & Play, Learning and Fabrication
- Proficiency in English (writing and speaking)
- Portfolio of projects that demonstrate some of the above
It is not necessary that you feature all the mentioned qualities and competences to qualify for one of the vacant positions.
With this general description we aim to draw the attention of potential, suitable (female) candidates whom we would like to invite to come in contact with our ambitious and fast growing department so that we can investigate a possible, mutual match.
ConditionsA comprehensive job profile is available upon request
TU/e wants to attract talented female researchers because we believe that diverse workforce generates better problem-solving strategies and more creative ideas. It accelerates innovation and enables teams to better learning and growth. Recently TU/e has launched the Irène Curie Fellowship. This program is aimed at talented women who pursue an academic career at TU/e. This Fellowship facilitates women in their scientific career and consists of:
- Development track position of 5 years or senior position
- Substantial start-up package
- Develop your own research line
- Participate in curriculum of department
- Dedicated mentoring program
- Dual career opportunity for spouses
For more information about this program: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/scientific-staff/irene-curie-fellowship/
Additional informationContact persons:
Cécile Gijsbers , +31402474055, +31651164692, email@example.com, consultant
Marijella van der Klugt , +31402476345, +3628346874, firstname.lastname@example.org, consultant