Assistant Professor - Converged Radio and Photonic Systems
The Terahertz Systems group within the Department of Electrical Engineering has a vacancy in the field of Converged Radio and Photonic Systems at Terahertz Frequencies.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Are you passionate about having your research help shaping the future of connectivity? Your high-quality academic research in the area of microwave photonics and 5G wireless systems is the key to success in achieving your goals. The evolution towards wireless communication at Terahertz frequencies poses challenges on the transition of signals from the optical and radio domain ultimately to be implemented in co-integrated electronic-photonic circuits. Fundamental research to pursue encompasses enabling technologies for photonic defined holographic radio in search of achieving ultra-high spatial and volumetric spectral efficiency, ultra-low latency and overall wireless network capacity. Moreover, the convergence of photonic and radio technologies, from circuit to system level, at terahertz frequencies for wireless communication and other applications such as sensing, and control will play an important role.
As a newly appointed faculty member, you will be working in the Terahertz systems Group at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). Next to your research quality, your educational skills are very important as you will develop and teach courses at both undergraduate and graduate level. You will be involved in supervising Bachelor, Master, PDEng, and PhD candidates.
The position is open immediately, but the start date is flexible.
Terahertz Systems Group
In the Terahertz Photonic Systems (THS) group, photonic techniques are investigated for the generation, detection, and processing of ultra-high frequency electromagnetic waves in the sub-THz to THz domain. This full-time position at the EE department will be hosted in the Terahertz system group (THS) and will have further close collaboration with the groups in the Center for Wireless Technologies Eindhoven (CWT/e) such as the electro-optical communication (ECO) group, Integrated circuits, Electromagnetics and other groups at EE such as the photonic integration (Phi) group.
THz science and technology aim at developing revolutionizing technologies for exploiting the unique properties of THz radiation and THz frequency signals, inherently addressing solution for societal challenges in ICT connectivity, health care and diagnostics, smart materials and nanoscale engineering for on-chip implementation. THz technologies are an example of a highly promising technology area that needs a very strong push by close multidisciplinary and academia-industry alliance for transferring these technologies from research laboratories to a wide range of commercial applications. In order to develop and maintain a network with industrial research, the candidate will be connected to several industries in 5G systems and its applications such as in the autonomous driving campus Helmond, Brainport 5G Hub and photonics activities of PhotonDelta and eventually is expected to develop and strengthen such network of industrial collaborations
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering or, any other relevant program from a leading university with specialization in optical communications, mm-wave and/or (sub)-THz s wireless systems.
- Experience and reputation in the area of microwave photonics and/or photonic technologies for wireless communications
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publication(s).
- Experience with acquiring external research funding from (inter-)national funding bodies or industry is an asset.
- Experience in coordinating and executing research in large national or, European consortia.
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills and ability to work in teams.
- Excellent proficiency (written and verbal) in English.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university embedded in the High-Tech Brainport region.
- Free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationAbout us
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to get an impression from current professors. Please click on the image to view this video. More information
If you recognize yourself in this profile and if you have questions, please contact prof.dr. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy, i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, please contact Cyndi Geurts, Recruiter, c.g.geurts[at]tue.nl, +31 621167031.
We hope you are inspired to know more about working at TU/e! Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled. We are committed to the cause of gender equality and, in case of equal suitability, we give preference to female candidates.