Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at TU Eindhoven is looking for a new faculty member to expand its academic staff in the area of Artificial Intelligence (AI). This vacancy is part of the IrÃ¨ne Curie Fellowship, and is only open for female candidates.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
TU Eindhoven (TU/e) is a mid-size technical university located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands, named the Brainport region. Eindhoven is the fifth largest city in the Netherlands, and including suburbs it has about 420,000 inhabitants. TU/e is a highly ranked university both in research and education. Our training and research programs are highly regarded and we foster close relationships with companies, organizations and research institutes in the Brainport region and beyond. Both theoretical and applied research are equally valued here. The high rank of the TU/e is due to the impact of our scientific research and productive collaboration (e.g. in terms of joint research projects and publications) with industry. TU/e is a social and inspiring university with a fine culture. You will quickly feel at home, surrounded by people who share your scientific ambitions. The TU/e currently has nine departments, with over 11,000 students in total.
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
With over 100 (assistant, associate and full) professors, almost 200 PhD and PDEng students, about 1100 Bachelor students and 600 Master students, the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (M&CS) is one of the largest departments of the TU/e. By performing top-level fundamental and applied research, and maintaining strong ties with industry, M&CS aims to contribute to science and to innovation in and beyond the region. This is reflected in a rich portfolio of projects and grants that our professors attract (including ERC and national level personal grants, H2020, NWO, and industry co-funded projects). M&CS is offering high-quality educational programs including three Bachelor and four Master programs, all taught fully in English. Beside Mathematics and Computer Science curricula, we offer also a full Data Science curriculum.
The department's relationship with the high-tech industry in the Brainport region means that interested staff and students can contribute directly to the development of technological innovations with real-world relevance. The department has produced a number of successful spin-offs, and participates in many national and international research consortia.
The unique positioning in one of Europe's leading tech regions also means excellent job opportunities for partners of successful candidates. TU/e actively facilitates such career opportunities. See here for more information about the department.
Artificial Intelligence: ambition meets opportunity in Eindhoven
TU/e has identified AI as one of the key multidisciplinary research opportunities in its Strategy 2030. Various research groups at the departments of Mathematics & Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences have been active and visible within the area of AI and its applications. There is an ongoing initiative at both university and department level to strengthen our AI research and AI education. TU/e has set aside significant funds to achieve its ambitions (100+MEuro at the university level).
Current interests include deep learning, symbolic AI, ubiquitous AI, explainable and responsible AI, AI with human in the loop as well as subareas targeting specific applications in healthcare, robotics, education, and sciences.
We seek to appoint an assistant professor in AI who is passionate about research as well as teaching. We welcome excellent candidates that can contribute to any of our current AI areas. The working language in the department and across the university is English. There is no requirement to speak Dutch for applying for these positions.
An important aspect of TU/e's vision on education is that research and education go hand in hand, both at Bachelor and Master level. Next to your research, education is an important part of your job. The TU/e helps its scientific staff to further develop their teaching skills by offering a training program that leads to an official teaching certification from Dutch Universities
(Basic Teaching Qualification).
Furthermore, we require:
- A PhD degree in AI, machine learning, or other relevant areas in computer science, with a strong publication record in top journals and conferences.
- Excellent communication, organization and leadership skills demonstrating the potential to build your own research group.
- Strong cooperation skills and the ability to work in a team.
ConditionsWe offer a position in a successful and internationally-oriented department. The department has an attractive starting package for its new faculty members. The city of Eindhoven offers a relaxed, multicultural environment, high quality of life and many options for extra-curricular activities. The city has a mild climate, and it is well-connected by rail, air, and road links with major European cities. The city is at the heart of the Brainport region of Netherlands, a region with high growth, high innovation, and many permanent employment opportunities for expats. Candidates moving to the Netherlands from abroad may qualify for a tax incentive scheme, where 30% of your income is tax free for a (maximum) period of five years. Click here for more information.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made.
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes).
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationFurther information with respect to the position can be obtained from prof.dr. Mykola Pechenizkiy, m.pechenizkiy[at]tue.nl.
For information concerning employment conditions click here or contact Elly van den Eertwegh MSc, Recruiter, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl, +31 6 39186476. Applicants will be screened starting from October 1st 2019.
How to apply
If you are interested in the position of assistant professor, and would like to apply, please send us your application by using the 'apply for this job' button at the top of this page. Your application must contain the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position
- A detailed CV
- A detailed list of publications and achievements
- A research statement
- A teaching statement
- The contact information of three referees
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Under European jurisdiction it is lawful to specifically recruit underrepresented groups.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature