Assistant Professor in Control and Optimisation for Intelligent Systems
Engineered systems and their control are essential to address future societal challenges regarding health, mobility, energy, food, etc. The increasing …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Engineered systems and their control are essential to address future societal challenges regarding health, mobility, energy, food, etc. The increasing complexity of these systems requires systematic design, modelling, optimisation and control to improve their performance, monitor their health, and allow interaction between systems as well as their users. We have an open tenure-track assistant professor position in the area of Artificial Intelligence, Optimization and Control of Autonomous Systems in the Control Systems Technology (CST) section with the aim to address future challenges in emerging application areas including high-tech systems, robotics, precision agriculture, medical systems and transportation systems, through advancing the field of Artificial Intelligence, Learning to Control, Optimization and Control. Breakthroughs in data-driven learning, optimization, and control technologies are essential to enable accurate operation of future engineered systems.
The CST section is among the largest and high-impact research centres in control globally, where both fundamental and applied research are performed at the highest level. Current research lines include control and systems theory, cyber-physical systems, optimization, artificial intelligence, machine learning, systems engineering, as well as mechanical design. Applications are often done in close collaboration with industry, where the CST section is uniquely positioned in a key high-tech region (Brainport Eindhoven). Application areas include mechatronic system design and motion systems, robotics, autonomous vehicles and mobility, smart medical devices, energy systems including nuclear fusion, thermal therapies, and agro-food.
The CST section currently consists of a diverse and committed team of 29 full-time and part-time staff members and 50+ post-doc and PhD researchers. The section currently consists of 8 Principal Investigators (PIs), who are responsible for specific scientific research lines and act as mentor for tenure-track researchers, with the aim to promote teamwork and individual growth of tenure-track researchers into PIs. This position will start immediately at the tenure-track level, where the candidate will have a mentor to guide him/her to build a leading research line in her/his discipline, while at the same time has a unique opportunity to enrichen her/his research with close collaborations with researchers within the section, as well as outside within our unique ecosystem. Our vision is that high-quality research and teaching are strongly connected, and teaching activities are therefore strongly connected to the envisioned research lines.
The candidate will be given the opportunity to build a strong network to relevant partners in the Brainport area (http://brainporteindhoven.com).
- PhD degree in systems and control or another relevant engineering field.
- Proven expertise in a relevant core discipline, for instance systems and control, artificial intelligence, machine learning, optimization, and optimization-based control such as model predictive control (MPC).
- Knowledge or interest in relevant application domains, for instance, in high-tech systems, robotics, autonomous systems.
- An excellent track record in scientific research, acquisition of externally funded research projects, and research vision.
- Strong academic and/or industrial network.
- Promote excellence and co-operation nationally, internationally, and societally.
- Excellent communication skills, entrepreneurship, organization and leadership skills demonstrating the potential to build your own research group.
- Extensive teaching experience and proven didactic skills.
- Excellent proficiency in English (Written and verbal).
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program.
- Under some conditions, in addition the Irène Curie Fellowship may apply. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary, as well as tax-reduction schemes for international applicants.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationAbout us
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with sophisticated industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to craft solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
The CST section has the vision that a fruitful synergy between the fields of systems and control, engineering design, and artificial intelligence will be a key enabler in taking on the future societal and industrial challenges in the fields of high-tech systems, mobility, sustainability and health. The section shows that fundamental research and education go hand in hand with societal and industrial valorization, as is demonstrated via innovative research projects directly with our industrial partners and the creation of multiple spin-off companies. Indeed, high-quality research and high-quality education are two sides of the same coin, and we educate many engineers for Dutch and international industries and universities. This vision is supported also by the success of our student teams (several times world champion robot soccer and the design of solar cars). The section has a broad funding base and a strong track record in attracting industrial funding and international collaborations, as well as personal grants.
Work with us!
We have several other open positions:
- Associate/Full professor Systems and Control Technology
- Assistant Professor in Modelling and Control of Multi-Physics Systems
- Assistant/Associate/Full Professor Mechanical Design Principles for High-Tech Systems
Information and Application
For general information regarding working at the TU/e, please visit www.tue.nl/jobs.
Questions regarding the scientific content can be directed to prof. Maurice Heemels, (m.heemels[at]tue.nl), prof. Maarten Steinbuch (m.steinbuch[at]tue.nl) or dr. Tom Oomen (t.a.e.oomen[at]tue.nl).
For information about terms of employment, please contact Elly van den Eertwegh, Recruiter, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl, +31 6 39186476.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
- Description of your scientific research interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
This position is currently open for applications and will remain open until the position is filled.
We are looking forward to your application. TU/e aims to increase diversity among its employees and encourages applications from under-represented groups; in particular, females are encouraged to apply.