Assistant Professor in Stochastic Operations Research
The Statistics, Probability and Operations Research (SPOR) cluster of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the Eindhoven University of …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Statistics, Probability and Operations Research (SPOR) cluster of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position in the area of Stochastics Operations Research (SOR). Within the SPOR cluster, SOR is one of the four disciplinary pillars, with one full-time and three part-time full professors, one associate professor, four assistant professors, three post-docs, and around 15 PhD students.
As a newly appointed faculty member, you will be expected to contribute to the SOR research activities at all levels. You will be encouraged to develop research initiatives within SOR and establish links with broader threads in data-driven modelling and optimization. You will further be expected to engage in the teaching activities of the SPOR cluster and to build and strengthen connections within the cluster as well collaborations with other departments at TU/e and external parties. A proven ability to pursue application areas that expand the current research frontiers or forge links with related scientific fields, is considered an important asset, and active involvement in interdisciplinary research projects is encouraged. Experience in acquiring external funding provides a significant advantage.
The research in SOR focuses on evaluating and optimizing the performance and reliability of large-scale systems that operate in the presence of randomness and uncertainty. We develop mathematical models and methods for the design, analysis, optimization and control of such systems with techniques at the intersection of applied probability and operations research. Typical examples of such systems are communication networks, data centers, energy systems, supply chains, transportation networks and hospital operations. Although the specific features of these systems differ, strong commonalities arise from the increasingly heterogeneous characteristics and complex interactions on the one hand and highly stringent performance requirements and huge scalability challenges on the other hand. Furthermore, the advance of digital technology yields abundant historical and real-time data as well as massive computational power for analyzing and improving the performance of these systems.
While inspired by applications, the research approach is foundational in nature and driven by mathematical rigor. Key methodological tools are stochastic processes, random walks, queueing theory and asymptotic scaling methods for higher-dimensional Markov processes.
- A PhD degree in mathematics, preferably related to the described research area;
- Ample experience in scientific research, as reflected in internationally refereed publications;
- International recognition by experts in the field;
- Experience in (content-wise) coaching of the research work of others;
- Experience in initiating research projects and acquiring the necessary funding;
- Creativity and dedication to (multi-disciplinary) collaboration;
- Ability to perform managerial tasks and services to the professional community beyond the group and cluster;
- A long-term stay of around six months at a university abroad as a (guest) researcher;
- Extensive teaching experience and/or proven didactic skills;
- Excellent proficiency in English (written and verbal);
- Motivating and inspiring personality.
- We provide a meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- We offer a Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. After a maximum of four years, the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- The salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary is included.
- We offer a broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationAbout us
The Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and prominent position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Questions regarding the scientific aspects can be directed to prof.dr.ir. Sem Borst,
s.c.borst[at]tue.nl or prof.dr. Maria Vlasiou, m.vlasiou[at]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, please contact the recruiter,
Ms. Elly van den Eertwegh, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl or + 31 (0)6 39186476.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs or look at our video.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected publications.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled, and applications received by December 11 will receive full consideration.