Assistant Professor - Protein Engineering and AI
Are you a scientist whose research is on the frontier of protein engineering by using AI? Protein engineering holds the potential for revolutionary advances …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Are you a scientist whose research is on the frontier of protein engineering by using AI? Protein engineering holds the potential for revolutionary advances in medicine, materials, and environmental remediation. However, the number of interactions in biological systems makes manual low-level design unmanageable. In recent years, the integration of protein engineering and artificial intelligence has shown potential to improve the design and construction of biological systems by employing data-driven approaches. It is with your data driven approach that you will have the possibility to expand your research further. This could be your next new exciting career opportunity!
Your research will employ machine learning approaches that integrate the experimental and computational design of new proteins and cellular systems with unprecedented new functions. Over time your research will develop into a strong, internationally recognized program that integrates protein engineering and AI. Examples of relevant research topics include, but are not limited to: i) machine learning assisted computational protein design and protein engineering, ii) machine learning assisted design of novel cellular functions and iii) the use of combined high-throughput and deep learning approaches to interrogate regulatory design principles.
As a newly appointed faculty member in the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), you will be working in the BIOMedical Imaging & Modeling (BIM) Cluster at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and will collaborate extensively with the Chemical Biology cluster in the same department. Next to your research quality, your educational skills are very important as you will develop and teach courses at both undergraduate and graduate level. You will be involved in supervising Bachelor, Master, PDEng, and PhD candidates.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) offers a research driven BME Bachelor program and Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Engineering in its Graduate Program. Its research areas range from Molecular Bioengineering and Imaging, Biomechanics and Tissue Engineering to Biomedical Imaging and Modelling. The department has more than 800 students and up to 200 tenured and non-tenured employees.
Institute for Complex Molecular Systems
The Institute for Complex Molecular Systems (ICMS) is an interdisciplinary institute at the TU/e which brings excellent researchers from different areas together to promote cross-breeding of ideas across disciplines in the departments Biomedical Engineering, Applied Physics, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering. The institute aims to create and study biologically relevant functional structures with the ultimate goal of understanding the complexity of life. The new faculty member will be part of the Grip of Complexity program which focuses on fundamental research that combines experiments and data analysis with mathematical modeling, analysis and control.
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD and preferably strong postdoctoral experience or already some years as an independent academic in molecular biology, chemical biology, synthetic biology or artificial intelligence.
- You have a strong background in protein engineering combined with an affinity for data-driven design of biological molecules or biological systems.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated by a relevant PhD thesis and publications in high impact journals.
- Ability to teach or, assist in the teaching process, shown by experience as well as positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience in acquiring external research funding from (inter-)national funding bodies or, industry is an asset.
- Excellent proficiency (written and verbal) in English.
- A Tenure Track for an Assistant/Associate Professor to build a research line.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children daycare and sports facilities.
Additional informationAbout us
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is ranked as one of the most innovative universities located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands, the Brainport region. The unique positioning in one of Europe's leading tech regions also means excellent job opportunities for spouses. TU/e actively facilitates career opportunities for partners of successful candidates. Eindhoven is the fifth largest city in the Netherlands, and including suburbs, it has about 420,000 inhabitants.
Our training and research programs are highly regarded, and we foster close relationships with companies, organizations, and research institutes in the Brainport region and beyond. Fundamental and applied research are equally valued here. The high rank of the TU/e is due to the impact of its scientific research and also to its scientific co-publications with industry. TU/e is a social and inspiring university with a vibrant culture. Surrounded by people who share your scientific ambitions, we translate our basic research into meaningful solutions. The TU/e currently has nine departments, with over 11,000 students in total..
Curious to hear more about what it is like as a professor at TU/e? Please view the video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
prof.dr.ir. Tom de Greef (t.f.a.d.greef[at]tue.nl).
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs.
We invite you to submit a complete application. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature