Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
PDEng; the Eindhoven Engine Innovation Project Proposal SMART TWO PLUS
Vacancy for Post-Doctoral Engineering position in the Eindhoven Engine Innovation Project Proposal SMART TWO PLUSHybrid prototype wireless communication …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingVacancy for Post-Doctoral Engineering position in the Eindhoven Engine Innovation Project Proposal SMART TWO PLUS
Hybrid prototype wireless communication system which combines the strengths of the mm-wave and optical wireless communication technologies
SMART TWO PLUS is part of a maverick telecom technologies research collaboration of TU/e with KPN tackling societal challenges in the field of mobility, safety and Smart city solutions. Building on existing strengths and joint execution of innovation projects in multi-partner teams, with a substantial participation of talented students at a central location is considered essential for SMART TWO PLUS.
The project is focused on the development of new iconic technologies addressing specific societal needs in an open and multidisciplinary way. Collaboration with other parties and research teams is actively sought after.
There is no wireless communication link technology available for reliable ultra-high-capacity communication in both downstream and upstream direction. Up to now, downstream optical communication has been explored, for e.g. streaming films and downloading huge data files. For the upstream communication, radio mm-wave technologies are pursued. Next to conveying upstream information, the combination of the radio mm-wave upstream link with the downstream optical link will be pursued, and it will be explored how the radio link also will serve for establishing initial connections upon requests by the user.
The PDEng project 'Prototype hybrid wireless communication system.' will design, implement and validate a hybrid system demonstrator setup which features the downstream high capacity optical wireless link, the upstream radio mm-wave wireless link, and the user localization techniques for establishing the communication links in both directions. This demonstrator should be able to serve multiple users wirelessly.
The PDEng student will build on the results of earlier KPN-TU/e joint research projects. Diversity techniques for the optical links as well as the mm-wave links will be explored, to facilitate user mobility and to maximize system connectivity, counteracting the impact of possible wireless path obstructions. The optical downstream link needs line-of-sight, and mm-wave channel sounding is required to detect and map obstructions in the wireless path. With this mapping, both the optical beams and the mm-wave beams can be diversity-routed and steered in order to circumvent those obstructions and thus guarantee a reliable high-quality broadband connection to the user.
The project results will be regularly discussed during the SMART TWO PLUS sessions and the solutions will be disseminated to the partners involved. There will be scientific publications on the research topics. Working prototypes will make valorization with KPN or other relevant partners in the eco system possible. Further dissemination will be via conferences where our researchers will participate in and also special outreach events together with KPN will be organized.
- MSc degree in Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics
- Knowledge of radio wireless communication techniques
- Knowledge of optical communication techniques
- Laboratory hands-on experience
- Good communication skills
- Team player
ConditionsWe offer a fixed-term, 2 year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Final deliverable is an up-and-running laboratory hybrid system demonstrator, showing real-time on-demand high capacity wireless communication services.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary of € 1.913,-.
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- A minimum of 41 holidays per year (excluding bank holidays, for a full-time employment of 40 hrs/week)
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered.
- For more general information about the PDEng traineeship, please visit our website at https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/phdpdeng/
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact Prof. Sonia Heemstra de Groot, sheemstradegroot[at]tue.nl, Prof. Ton Koonen, a.m.j.koonen[at]tue.nl or dr. Eduward Tangdiongga, e.tangdiongga[at]tue.nl
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/ .
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work;
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
- results of your IELTS test.
You can upload only one document (maximum file size is 10 MB). You have to bundle the documents.