PDEng trainee- Process control design of Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage triplet
Are you eager to work on the design the building and control system to ensure realistic usage of the wells and our next PDEng trainee in the PDEng program SBC Smart Buildings & Cities.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingTrainee SBC PDEng program
The SBC PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stake holders. Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design, this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems. The trainee position leads to the degree of 'Professional Doctorate in Engineering' (PDEng). The program consists of two main parts running in parallel: Half of the program consists of post-master level education in the form of generic design projects and courses; The other half of the program is dedicated to an individual design project in collaboration with a company.
The company design project is to design the process controls for an Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage (ATES) triplet for nearly self-sufficient heating and cooling of buildings, i.e. heating and cooling without the input of energy from external electricity or gas. ATES systems normally use a heat demand-driven heat pump which uses a substantial amount of electricity. In the proposed ATES triplet system consists of three wells as opposed to the typical two wells. The required heat and cooling capacity will be all captured from the environment when available and stored in the subsurface at the temperature level desired for later use. This reduces the primary energy use of an ATES triplet well system to about 5% of a conventional space heating and cooling system. In this project, four researchers cooperate to develop a prototype design for the coupled subsurface/building hydraulic flows and control system of an ATES triplet.
You will assess the impact of design choices and assess the interaction with the building system, and design the control of the triplet wells, the interplay between the three wells and building system, and the combined control of wells and energy delivery to the building. You will design the building and control system to ensure that realistic usage of the wells is simulated. The PDEng trainee will be embedded in the Building Services group and work directly on a design project for a large company.
We are looking for candidates with:
- a MSc degree in Building Science, Informatics, Mathematical, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Interest in physical processes (heat, air and moisture transfer) in the built environment and computational building performance simulation is essential.
- an interest in developing new control technologies and applications for the built environment
- a design-oriented attitude.
- ability to work in a team and interested in collaborating with the industrial partners.
- an academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future built environment.
- an excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with a close relationship to industry.
- A full-time employment for two years.
- To support you during your PDEng and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PDEng trainees.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about the project?
Please contact prof.ir. Wim Zeiler, w.zeiler[at]tue.nl
For more information on the SBC program, please contact dr. L.Hensen Centnerová,
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include (in Pdf format):
- Maximum two page letter of motivation
- Maximum three page curriculum vitae
- Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
- Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
- At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files or reduce the resolution of your documents.
An excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
The application deadline for this position is April 30, 2021. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position. Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than May 31, 2021.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature