3 dagen geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PDEng trainee Replication potential for Smart Urban Lighting
Fulltime 2-year trainee position in the PDEng program `Smart Buildings & CitiesÂ¿ of Eindhoven University of Technology. We are looking for candidates with a strong interest in smart lighting solutions in urban environments and an MSc degree in Innovation Management, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Design, Construction Management and Engineering, or equivalent. This PDEng project focuses on the business aspects of smart lighting & cities, including replication and upscaling, business modelling, and innovation ecosystem development.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingSmart Buildings & Cities PDEng program
The Smart Buildings & Cities PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stakeholders. This PDEng program educates trainees to become those technical designers! Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design, this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems.
After the two year program, our trainees become technical designers with a broad technological understanding of the disciplines relevant to the above mentioned smart cities themes (architecture, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, building physics and services and ICT), who excel in their own discipline and who are able to work in multidisciplinary design teams, contribute to design issues outside their own core disciplines, integrate different technologies into new products and concepts, and who understand the commercial aspects of these innovative products and concepts.
The Department of the Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences of the Eindhoven University of Technology offers you a trainee position to follow a two-year post-master technological designer program, which leads to the degree of 'Professional Doctorate in Engineering' (PDEng). The program consists of two main parts running in parallel:
- Half of the program consists of post-master level education in the form of generic design projects and courses about design methods, entrepreneurship and professional skills. Furthermore, it includes several technical courses about topics relevant to SB&C. This part of the program also offers ample opportunity to develop professional skills.
- The other half of the program is dedicated to an individual design project in collaboration with a company. It is the trainee's main responsibility to manage and execute the project. Each trainee is supported by an advisor from the company and an advisor from the university. A business plan for implementation or marketing of the designed product or process is part of the final deliverables.
The company design project related to this traineeship is described below.
Municipalities increasingly invest in energy-efficient lighting such as LED, achieving energy reductions of 22%. These technologies alone are insufficient to reach the cities' targets on energy efficiency and CO2 emissions. This has led to small scale pilots with intelligent lighting systems that adjust lighting intensity to the actual needs, allowing 60% reduction in energy consumption by enhancing energy efficiency (EE). However, only by addressing the unique and diverse requirements of municipalities, who are largely focussed on the citizens and their perspectives, we can make the move towards large-scale uptake of high energy-saving innovations. In the Interreg Smart Spaces project municipalities and key innovation stakeholders (research institutes, SMEs, enterprises and associations) from NL, BE, FR and IE jointly:
The goal of this PDEng project is to design and develop business models & replication model and long-term potential assessment for the implementation of smart lighting by assessing applicability and potential performance in other contexts and the development of the roll-out strategy.
The PDEng trainee will be embedded in the Innovation Technology Entrepreneurship & Marketing group - https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/innovation-technology-entrepreneurship-marketing/ For questions about the project contact Sjoerd Romme (email@example.com) or Rianne Valkenburg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are looking for:
• An excellent and highly motivated candidate with an MSc degree in Innovation Management, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Design, Construction Management and Engineering, or equivalent. A strong interest in business aspects of smart lighting and smart cities, including replication and upscaling, business modelling, innovation ecosystem development, and stakeholder involvement is essential.
• An interest in developing models for the implementation and upscaling of new technologies and applications for the built environment.
• An academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future urban space in cities.
• An excellent command of English language, both in speaking and writing. Speaking or understanding Dutch will be considered as an added value.
ArbeidsvoorwaardenWe offer a fulltime traineeship of two years. The traineeship is a formal employment at the Eindhoven University of Technology according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Trainees receive a financial compensation according to this standard. Bruto salary: € 1865
Trainees are provided with their own work place in the building of the Department of IE&IS. The university provides all general modern facilities belonging to first class universities; mediation in housing, excellent sports facilities, language courses, modern digital library facilities etc. For more information please visit www.tue.nl/en/.
Additionele informatieHow to apply
We would like to receive the following five documents (in Pdf format):
1. Maximum two page letter of motivation
2. Maximum three page curriculum vitae
3. Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
4. Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
5. At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please do not upload documents larger than 2MB, so if necessary reduce the resolution of your documents.
The application deadline for this position is August 15, 2018. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. The invited candidates will be asked to prepare a short presentation motivating their interest in the program. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position.
Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than beginning of September, 2018.
For more information on the program and our contact information, please check our website: www.tue.nl/sbc