Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
PDEng trainee - Tool development for appropriate sizing of HVAC systems
PDEng trainee - Tool development for appropriate sizing of HVAC systems for tents and temporary shelters.
Fulltime, two year trainee position at the PDEng program `Smart Buildings & Cities' of the Eindhoven University of Technology. We are looking for candidates with a strong interest in energy in the built environment and a MSc degree in Architectural Engineering, Building Science, Building, Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Interest in physical processes (heat, air and moisture transfer) in the built environment, sustainable energy technologies and computational building performance simulation is essential.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingSmart Buildings & Cities PDEng program
The Smart Buildings & Cities PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stakeholders. This PDEng program educates trainees to become those technical designers! Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design, this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems.
After the two year program, our trainees become technical designers with a broad technological understanding of the disciplines relevant to the above mentioned smart cities themes (architecture, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, building physics and services and ICT), who excel in their own discipline and who are able to work in
multidisciplinary design teams, contribute to design issues outside their own core disciplines, integrate different technologies into new products and concepts, and who understand the commercial aspects of these innovative products and concepts.
The Department of the Built Environment of the Eindhoven University of Technology offers you a trainee position to follow a two-year post-master technological designer program, which leads to the degree of 'Professional Doctorate in Engineering' (PDEng). The program consists of two main parts running in parallel:
- Half of the program consists of post-master level education in the form of generic design projects and courses about design methods, entrepreneurship and professional skills. Furthermore, it includes several technical courses about topics relevant to SB&C. This part of the program also offers ample opportunity to develop professional skills.
- The other half of the program is dedicated to an individual design project in collaboration with a company. It is the trainee's main responsibility to manage and execute the project. Each trainee is supported by an advisor from the company and an advisor from the university. A business plan for implementation or marketing of the designed product or process is part of the final deliverables.
The company design project related to this traineeship is described below.
Temporary tents and emergency shelters are used all around the world to accommodate different functions (e.g. lodging, hospitals, festivals, military operations, etc.). In many cases, these temporary buildings are equipped with heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems to ensure comfortable indoor conditions all year long. The organizations that deploy these temporary structures face difficulties in selecting the right sizes of HVAC equipment because of uncertainties in terms of weather conditions, shelter properties and actual activity types. Because undersizing could lead to both uncomfortable/hazardous situations and high replacement costs, the organizations tend to send systems that are (much) bigger than necessary, leading to inefficient system operation and inefficient inventory control.
The goal of this PDEng project, therefore, is to design and develop a user-friendly software tool that can assist decision-making in the system sizing process of HVAC systems for temporary buildings. The project will be carried out with the use of advanced building performance simulations, uncertainty analysis and robustness assessment techniques.
The PDEng trainee will be embedded in the Building Performance group - www.tue.nl/buildingperformance. For questions about the project contact Roel Loonen.
We are looking for
• an excellent and highly motivated candidate with an MSc degree in Architectural Engineering, Building Science, Building, Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Interest in physical processes (heat, air and moisture transfer) in the built environment, sustainable energy technologies and computational building performance simulation is essential.
• an interest in developing new sustainable technologies and applications for the built environment.
• an academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future built environment.
• an excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
ArbeidsvoorwaardenWhat do we provide?
We offer a fulltime traineeship of two years. The traineeship is a formal employment at the Eindhoven University of Technology according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Trainees receive a financial compensation according to this standard. Bruto salary: € 1828
Trainees are provided with their own work place in the building of the Department of the Built Environment. The university provides all general modern facilities belonging to first class universities; mediation in housing, excellent sports facilities, language courses, modern digital library facilities etc. For more information please visit www.tue.nl/en/.
Additionele informatieHow to apply?
We would like to receive the following five documents (in Pdf format):
1. Maximum two page letter of motivation
2. Maximum three page curriculum vitae
3. Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
4. Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
5. At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please do not upload documents larger than 2MB, so if necessary reduce the resolution of your documents.
The application deadline for this position is June 10, 2018. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. The invited candidates will be asked to prepare a short presentation motivating their interest in the program. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position.
Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than beginning of July, 2018.
For more information on the program and our contact information, please check our website: www.tue.nl/sbc