Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Gemeente Arnhem - Arnhem
PDEng trainee - WoonConnect Circularity
Fulltime, two year trainee position at the PDEng program `Smart Buildings & CitiesÂ¿ of the Eindhoven University of Technology. We are looking for candidates with a strong interest in energy in the built environment and a MSc degree in Architectural Engineering, Building Science, Building, Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Knowledge from sustainability and user preferences analyses are essential and experience in Building Information Modelling and software development are beneficial.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingSmart Buildings & Cities PDEng program
The Smart Buildings & Cities PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. The transition is a relevant theme for society (as reflected by the Horizon 2020 Societal Challenges formulated by the European Commission), building industry and university (consider the TU/e's Strategic Areas: Energy, Health and Smart Mobility and the TU/e's Smart Cities Program).
This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stake holders. This PDEng program educates trainees to become those technical designers! Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design, this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems.
After the two year program our trainees become technical designers with a broad technological understanding of energy related disciplines in the built environment (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, building physics and services and ICT), who excel in their own discipline and who are able to work in multidisciplinary design teams, contribute to design issues outside their own core disciplines, integrate different technologies into new products and concepts, and who understand the commercial aspects of these innovative products and concepts.
The Department of the Built Environment of the Eindhoven University of Technology offers you a trainee position to follow a two-year post-master technological designer program, which leads to the degree of 'Professional Doctorate in Engineering' (PDEng). The SB&C program consists of two main parts:
1. Workshops. You will follow technical workshops in which you acquire knowledge concerning important concepts of disciplines other than your own (master) specialism. You will follow these workshops with other SEB&C trainees (all with different master specialisms). The workshops increase your ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with these other disciplines in multidisciplinary design teams. Furthermore, you will follow workshops on design methods, entrepreneurship and professional skills.
2. Design projects. You will work on a design project with a group of SEB&C trainees and you will work an individual in-company assignment (see description below). The latter is a design project in collaboration with a company and the university. You work within the company structure (facilities, office desk, computer and other required equipment are provided by the company). It is your main responsibility to manage and execute the project. You are supported by an advisor from the company and an advisor from the university. A business plan for implementation or marketing of the project or product is part of the final deliverables.
A significant part of the first year of the program is dedicated to the workshops, while the second year is mostly dedicated to the in-company assignment. Nonetheless you will start working on the in-company assignment from the start of the program. The in-company assignment related to this traineeship is described below.
Close to Helmond a new smart district is under development, Brainport Smart District. As a start in 2018 an innovative smart house is constructed designed and engineered by the TU/e student team CASA. De CASA house is based upon innovative concepts, such as: Building-Integrated PV with thermal collection (BIPV-T) (rooftop), Seasonal Thermal Energy Storage (STES) (underneath the home), Local nano DC-grid, and Autonomous control system for climate, security, health & other IoT applications. In order to adapt the CASA home to new circumstances (new technologies, new inhabitants) and to give the house tenants/owners control over their own facilities, the existing BIM system WoonConnect will be applied. WoonConnect is a comprehensive building modelling tool, with a rich underlying dataset of building components and material properties. Additionally, WoonConnect can be tailored to do survey on people's preferences for living and their living environment. WoonConnect utilizes Labels to indicate the current state of a building and to allows user to express the desire state. Bases upon this information the system proposes adaptation strategies. Currently Woonconnect supports labels for Energy, Care, and Comfort. In this project a new Circularity label is developed and applied to the CASA home.
An extensive literature review is executed on existing circularity index systems. From the review a complete overview is provided on the application domain, required input data, required expertise, underlying scoring method, etc. Based on this overview a list of circularity criteria is composed that can cover the intended client needs. The completeness and unambiguity of this list is tested in a questionnaire amongst potential end-users. Based upon the available building component and material data from the WoonConnect system, a circularity score calculation method is developed. The calculation method allows for multivariate calculation including different weighting methods.
A new add-on is developed for the WoonConect system of the Twee Snoeken that supports clients in determining their own circularity score with a reference to existing scoring methods.
We are looking for
• an excellent and highly motivated candidate with an MSc degree in Architectural Engineering, Building Science, Building, Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Knowledge from sustainability and user preferences analyses are essential and experience in Building Information Modelling and software development are beneficial.
• an interest in developing new sustainable technologies and applications for the built environment.
• an academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future built environment.
• an excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
ArbeidsvoorwaardenWhat do we provide?
We offer a fulltime traineeship of two years. The traineeship is a formal employment at the Eindhoven University of Technology according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Trainees receive a financial compensation according to this standard. Bruto salary: € 1749
Trainees are provided with their own work place in the building of the Department of the Built Environment. The university provides all general modern facilities belonging to first class universities; mediation in housing, excellent sports facilities, language courses, modern digital library facilities etc. For more information please visit www.tue.nl/en/.
Additionele informatieHow to apply?
We would like to receive the following five documents (in Pdf format):
1. Maximum two page letter of motivation
2. Maximum three page curriculum vitae
3. Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
4. Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
5. At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please do not upload documents larger than 2MB, so if necessary reduce the resolution of your documents.
The application deadline for this position is July 26, 2018. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. The invited candidates will be asked to prepare a short presentation motivating their interest in the program. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position.
Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than July 26, 2018.
Further information can be obtained from: Prof.Dr.ir. B. de Vries, email: B.d.Vries@tue.nl and telephone +31.40.247 2388.
More personnel information can be obtained from Jelmer Sieben, personnel department, email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; and telephone +126.96.36.19946 or the HR department Built Environment (mail to Personeelszaken fac. B, email@example.com ).
For more information on the program and our contact information, please check our website: www.3tu.nl/sai/sebc