Ongeveer 24 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD: Bridging all-optical and electrical switching in Co/Pt-based multilayers
This PhD position is embedded in a European Innovative Training Network (ITN) named COMRAD (www.comrad-etn.eu). It will explore novel routes for the fastest …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
This PhD position is embedded in a European Innovative Training Network (ITN) named COMRAD (www.comrad-etn.eu). It will explore novel routes for the fastest possible and least dissipative magnetic switching in random access devices by bringing together the two disciplines of ultrafast magnetism and spinorbitronics, creating sub-100 ps stimuli in spinorbitronics and pushing the latter into a regime beyond the limitations of equilibrium thermodynamics. The ambition of COMRAD is to train PhDs in such a way that they gain a broad understanding of the challenges in the entire process of emergence and development of opto-magnetic data storage, from fundamental research to device and failure analysis. The present position for a PhD student (Early-Stage Researchers, ESR9), will be implemented in the Group Physics of Nanostructures (www.spintronics.nl) at TU/e.
This project is bridging spintronics with femtomagnetism, exploiting the group's expertise in this novel, hybrid research area. The ESR will design and grow his/her own multilayer samples using our NanoAccess facility and will perform fs pump-probe magneto-optical studies. Experiments will encompass the use of optically-excited femtosecond spin currents and all-optical switching to investigate the role of spin-orbit phenomena such as the spin-Hall effect and the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in sub-ps magnetization dynamics. Experiments will be performed on especially engineered multilayer structures, including Pt/Co/Gd ultrathin films. Thus, the ESR will be challenged to explore the ultimate limits of spin-orbit torques, pushing the field to the femtosecond regime. The ESR will do so in close collaboration with several other PhD students in the group working on femtomagnetism and spintronics, covering experimental and theoretical/numerical approaches, as well as several partners in the ITN network. Secondments at partner institutes and companies will be facilitated
The candidate should hold a recently (<1 year) obtained Master of Science or equivalent degree in experimental physics with a preferred specialization in condensed matter or related topics in (applied) physics. Experience in the field of nanomagnetism, magneto-optics and/or spintronics is appreciated.
Candidates are recommended to apply via the COMRAD website (https://comrad-etn.eu/jobs/) highlighting their (first) preference for the position in Eindhoven (ESR9). Deadline for application is September 1st 2020, but the first interviews will start once a sufficient number of qualified candidates has applied.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.395,00 per month (first year) and € 3.061,00 per month (last year) accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? please contact prof.dr. B. Koopmans, b.koopmans[a]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, please contact HR, hrservices.flux[a]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Academic transcripts.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature