3 dagen geleden - Radboud Universiteit (RU) - Nijmegen
PhD in 3D Printing Artificial Cells
Bio-Organic Chemistry Group: Our ambition is to create hybrid cells and organelles that can be used to mimic and adjust cellular processes. We employ …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Bio-Organic Chemistry Group: Our ambition is to create hybrid cells and organelles that can be used to mimic and adjust cellular processes. We employ expertise from polymer science, nanotechnology and cell biology to achieve our goals. Are you the enthusiastic PhD student that fits in our group of excellent researchers? Are you fascinated by the scientific challenge of building up lifelike systems, from the bottom-up, using non-living components?
The research of the group Bio-organic Chemistry focuses on compartmentalization strategies to construct micro and nanocapsules which can be applied in the areas of nanomedicine and artificial cell research. We design smart delivery vehicles that for example cross the blood brain barrier or are used in cancer therapy. We use nanoparticles as scaffolds for vaccine development. We construct capsules with life-like properties, such as metabolism, organelle-mimetic behavior and cell growth and motility. In our research we combine techniques from protein engineering, polymer chemistry and bioconjugation approaches to create particles with bioactive properties.
Further information on the research interests of Prof. Jan van Hest can be found on their website. https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/macromolecular-and-organic-chemistry/bio-organic-chemistry/
A PhD position is open in the Artificial Cell cluster of the research group, where your project will be focused on 3D printing artificial cells. Working alongside a team of other PhD students and postdocs, your main goal will be to develop techniques that will enable the 2D and eventually 3D patterning of artificial cells into artificial tissues. This is an exploratory project that will utilize our existing coacervate-based protocell platform to build up arrays of protocells with fine control over their contents, size, and positioning. Such control will enable the construction of the next generation of complex, multi-component, adaptive artificial tissues. There are opportunities in this project to examine both the fundamentals of diffusion-based molecular communication, as well as the application of this technology to biomedical challenges such as organoid culturing.
In this project, you will be expected to develop expertise in 3D printing of artificial cells, characterize these artificial tissues via light and electron microscopy, and collaborate with other members of the Artificial Cell cluster to incorporate new functionalities into the artificial tissues. This project could also include the chemical modification of protocell membranes, the modelling of diffusion via computational methods, and interactions with external academic/commercial collaborators. Your training over 4 years will also include the communication of your results to a broad range of audiences via oral presentations and written research (peer-reviewed publications and a doctoral thesis).
- A master's degree (or an equivalent university degree) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, Microfabrication, Additive Manufacturing, or related.
- A research-oriented attitude with research project experience in at least one of the above disciplines.
- A demonstrated knowledge of at least 2 of the following: surface chemistry, supramolecular chemistry/self-assembly, polymer chemistry, organic chemistry, microscopy, rheology, cell culture/molecular biology
- Ability to work in a team, communicate effectively, conduct research creatively and independently, and initiate/foster collaborations.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called '30% facility', which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Jan van Hest, j.c.m.v.hest[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 3515.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact
Sascha Sanchez, HR advisor, s.j.m.g.sanchez.van.oort[at]tue.nl, +31 40 247 7310 or
HRServices, hrservices.gemini[at]tue.nl, +31 40 247 3161
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.