Ongeveer 22 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
PhD in AI aided visual inspection for fatigue cracks in steel bridges
Are you our next PhD and passionate about integrating AI into fatigue crack inspection practices in steel bridges?
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
A PhD position is offered within the Department of the Built Environment of the Eindhoven University of Technology. After four years of research, you can obtain a PhD degree.
This position is founded by the Eindhoven Artificial Intelligence Systems Institute (EAISI) that aims to develop AI-technology for the real world.
The research aims to integrate AI systems into inspection and maintenance strategies of bridge infrastructures, to reduce the cost of ownership and to prolong its life. To reach this, a framework for detecting and locating cracks with the aim of digital image recognition will be developed and applied to detect fatigue cracks in steel bridge infrastructures, providing the basis for automated inspections of bridges.
Machine learning algorithms are foreseen as a tool to improve the reliability of the inspection method as compared to standard visual inspections. The accuracy of the method will be translated into 'probability of detection curves', allowing comparison with standard fatigue inspection techniques. Possible advantages could be an improved reliability of the inspection,
a reduction of labor and costs, and even a (radical) change in the maintenance strategy of steel bridge infrastructures. In addition, this study will allow making use of this automated inspection in advanced probabilistic assessments.
Applicants require to hold a MSc degree in engineering (civil, mechanical, railway, aerospace,
or related field), physics, or mathematics.
The ideal candidate will meet as many of the following requirements as possible:
- Have a consolidated background in applied mathematics (network optimization, numeric PDE analysis, probability theory), mathematical engineering (fields like signal/image processing or robotics) and computer science;
- Strong experience with programming languages such as Python (and Matlab or Mathematica) where experience with deep learning platforms (e.g. Tensor Flow, PyTorch)
- Basic knowledge of C++ programming is also considered as a plus.;
- Experience or interest in working with Artificial Intelligence and applying it to civil infrastructures for damage detection;
- Fluent English skills, both written and spoken;
A minimum grade of an independent language test is required (TOEFL or IELTS) for all candidates who hold a MSc degree from another program than the TU/e.
IELTS: Overall grade 7.0 with a minimum sub score of 7.0 for both speaking and writing.
TOEFL: Overall band score of at least 90 and a minimum score of 21 for each section.
TU/e only accepts the TOEFL internet-based test.
- Ability to function in cooperation with industry.
- Interest in co-supervising MSc projects.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
assistant prof. Davide Leonetti, d.leonetti[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.be[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.