Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
PhD in business models & ecosystem management for extensive poultry farming
We are looking for a PhD candidate with a background in Innovation Management, Industrial Engineering, Agro-ecology and/or Agribusiness Development interested in design science research and stakeholder analysis at the interface of sustainability, system-thinking, and agrifood.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Eindhoven University of Technology is one of the world's leading research universities (ranked by the Times Higher Education Supplement) and is particularly well known for its joint research with industry (ranked number one worldwide by the Centre for Science and Technology Studies). The Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences (IE&IS) of Eindhoven University of Technology is one of the longest-established engineering schools in Europe, with a strong presence in the international research and education community. The graduate program (MSc and PhD) in Industrial Engineering attracts top-level students from all over the world.
The PhD candidate will be located in the Innovation, Technology Entrepreneurship & Marketing (ITEM) group. The group is part of the School of Industrial Engineering of the department IE&IS. The ITEM group consists of about 25 FTE faculty members and 20 FTE PhD students who participate in and contribute to the research, education and service program of the ITEM group. This program is one of the leading programs in the world and emphasizes means for measuring and improving the process of conceiving, developing, and launching new products and businesses, and also managing these products and businesses post-launch. More information about the group can be found at: https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/industrial-engineering/innovation-technology-entrepr-marketing/
Short description of the PhD Project
The PhD candidate will be part of the H2020 Code Re-Farm consortium funded by the European Commission that aims to support farmers engaged in livestock production to reframe farming systems based on consumer-driven demands. The consortium consists of a multi-disciplinary team with animal science, chemistry, food science, microelectronics, industrial engineering, social science, and agriculture backgrounds. Each discipline studies different aspects related to reframing the farming system linked to extensive husbandry, food quality, and business models. You will be specifically focusing on exploring alternative business models and ecosystem business management practices in the poultry sector, and will be collaborating with the Poultry Expertise Center/AERES in The Netherlands and Cyprus Research and Innovation Center (CyRIC) in Cyprus.
Within the larger consortium your task will be to explore potential strategies to reframe the poultry farming system. Such reframing requires (1) conducting an analysis of the current situation and relevant future trends in poultry value chains, (2) designing use cases for alternative business models for value creation and business ecosystem management, and (3) testing the new business models. To design new business models for extensive livestock production systems (ELPS) that fit sustainable, consumer-driven business, you will need to engage in value chain and stakeholder analysis. You will apply a variety of research methods, including interviewing, focus groups, workshops and surveys, to explore and design detailed scenarios for propositions of new business models, that describe the new value chain, stakeholders, and relevant interactions. A selection of viable and sustainable use cases for application in the farm-to-fork value chain will be made.
The PhD candidate will benefit from the strong industry relationships of the consortium, and the use cases specified. These will facilitate interviews and access to data, and will help ensure the practical relevance of the research. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to interact closely with other PhDs working on different aspects of poultry and goat farming.
You, as a successful applicant, will perform the research project outlined above as part of a small team at TU/e, and collaborate also with a postdoc and supervisors in this workpackage. The research will be concluded with a PhD thesis. A small teaching load may part of the job.
- You have a Master's degree in Innovation Management, Industrial Engineering, Agroecology, or Agribusiness Development or related disciplines.
- You have a strong affinity with interdisciplinary research as well as collaboration with industry.
- You have affinity and experience with system redesign, and design science and/or stakeholder analysis is one of your competences.
- You have the potential and ambition to become a high-level scholar in business management and industrial engineering.
- You like to take initiative and are able to work on a challenging topic that has both basic and applied research aspects.
- Your verbal and written communication skills are excellent as is your proficiency in English and your ability to collaborate in an international setting.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- Gross monthly salary is €2.325,- in the first year up to €2.972,- (gross) in the fourth year on a full-time basis.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program)
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationAdditional Information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact dr. Arjan Markus (a.markus[at]tue.nl ) or dr.ir. Rianne Valkenburg (a.c.valkenburg[at]tue.nl).
For information about terms of employment, please contact Susan Opgenoorth, personnel officer (hrservices.ieis[at]tue.nl). Further information about the Eindhoven University of Technology can be found at www.tue.nl.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter (2 page max), which includes a motivation of your interest in the vacancy and an explanation of why you would fit well with the project.
- Detailed curriculum vitae.
- List of courses you have taken in Masters and Bachelor programs (including grades).
- Results of a recent English language test, or other evidence of your English language capabilities (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
- Name and contact information of two references.
If you are interested, we invite you to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. You can send us your application through the online job portal of the TU/e. We do not accept applications sent by e-mail. You can only upload a maximum of 5 documents of 2 Mb each. If you have more than 5 documents, you will need to combine them.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.