PhD position in Mathematics at TU/e
Exciting things happen where different fields meet! In this PhD project we want to use ideas from both Analysis and Probability Theory to create new …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Exciting things happen where different fields meet! In this PhD project we want to use ideas from both Analysis and Probability Theory to create new understanding -- new understanding of many of the systems currently used by mathematicians, physicists, computer scientists, and others. If this appeals to you, then please apply!
Applications are invited for a PhD position at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), under the supervision of Alberto Chiarini. Chiarini's position at Eindhoven is part of a larger collaboration between the Analysis and Stochastics groups of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The PhD student will be embedded in both groups, and in this way benefit from a wide range of interactions with experts in Analysis and Stochastics in Eindhoven.
The subject of the PhD project will be decided together with the student, and will be chosen from a range of topics on the interface between probability theory and analysis. Examples of such topics are interacting particle systems, large deviations, gradient flows, and partial differential equations.
Ideally, applicants have a sound training in probability theory (including stochastic processes and stochastic differential equations), analysis (including partial differential equations, functional analysis and measure theory).
Students with deficiencies in one of these areas but who are strong in others are nonetheless encouraged to apply; we can provide the requisite training.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called '30% facility', which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Alberto Chiarini, a.chiarini[at]tue.nl or Mark Peletier, m.a.peletier[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.