Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - VU - Amsterdam
PhD position in the area of stochastic processes and applied probability
TU/e is looking for a PhD in the area of stochastic processes and applied probability
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
PhD position in the area of stochastic processes and applied probability. The project is related to high-dimensional probabilistic models, combining techniques from probability and optimization, with potential applications to the charging of electric vehicles. A strong background in mathematics and proficiency in English are required.
The PhD candidate will develop and analyze high-dimensional probabilistic models, combining techniques from probability, analysis and optimization. The research topic is unique as it will be of high mathematical level, and at the same time motivated by emerging applications in electric vehicle charging. We are looking for a student with a strong background in mathematics who is driven by societal applications. The project will be complemented by master thesis projects that focus on knowledge transfer to society, and multidisciplinary projects with electrical engineers. The PhD candidate will be supported and supervised by Dr. Maria Vlasiou (m.vlasiou[at]tue.nl) and Prof. Dr. Bert Zwart (bert.zwart[at]cwi.nl)
The project will be carried out at the Mathematics and Computer Science department of the Eindhoven University of Technology. The department has a vibrant international environment, with 46% of the scientific staff being non-Dutch nationals and more than 100 PhD candidates. It has extensive experience in helping new (foreign) employees settle in.
Preference will be given to candidates in any branch of applied mathematics and to candidates from a different background (e.g. engineering) but with an exceptionally strong mathematical foundation. Research experience will be highly valued. Strong knowledge of applied probability and analysis is highly desirable. The candidate should be able to validate his/her mathematical results using techniques such as Monte-Carlo simulation. Affinity with or interest in electricity networks and/or knowledge of continuous optimization is a plus.
The successful applicant will hold a Master's degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, or related fields. All applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and transcripts. Proficiency in English is also required.
- PhD candidates are appointed as temporary university employees for a four-year period (based on an initial one-year contract, with a three-year extension after a positive evaluation as to whether the research is expected to result in a PhD degree after four years).
- The terms of employment are governed by the Collective Labour Agreement of Universities in The Netherlands, with a monthly salary starting at 2325 Euro in the first year, and increasing to 2972 Euro in the fourth year, and an additional 8% holiday allowance and 8% end-of-year bonus. An extensive fringe benefits package is included. Further details can be found here. Additional budget allows for extensive research visits abroad and conference attendance.
- For information regarding the university, please visit the website of TU/e. Here you can find information about the sports facilities on campus. Information about Eindhoven can be found here. The international office provides support with administration and housing to foreign nationals and their spouses.
- Information about terms of employment can be obtained from the HR services office, (pzwin[at]tue.nl).
Additional informationQuestions about this position should be addressed to:
Prof. Dr. Bert Zwart (bert.zwart[at]cwi.nl) and
Dr. Maria Vlasiou (m.vlasiou[at]tue.nl)
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter (1 page max), which includes a motivation of your interest in the vacancy and an explanation of why you would fit well for the project;
- An extensive curriculum vitae;
- A course list of your Masters and Bachelor programs (including grades);
- Results of a recent English language test, or other evidence of your English language capabilities;
- Name and contact information of two references.
If you are interested, we invite you to apply as soon as possible by using the 'apply now' button.
We will start considering applications and interviewing immediately upon receiving an application.
Applications submitted by e-mail will not be considered. You can upload one file including all the required documents (max. 10 MB).