PhD Position: Information Theory and Wireless Communications
We are recruiting a PhD candidate to join the Information and Communication Theory (ICT) Lab - Signal Processing Systems (SPS) Group in the Electrical …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
We are recruiting a PhD candidate to join the Information and Communication Theory (ICT) Lab - Signal Processing Systems (SPS) Group in the Electrical Engineering (EE) Department at TU/e. The position is fully funded for 4 years and is focused on information theory with application to wireless communications. In particular, the candidate will be conducting fundamental research motivated by practical multi-access and interference management problems in emerging wireless communication networks.
General Motivation and Research Topic
Wireless technology has transformed modern society; and continues to impact many more aspects of our daily lives. The vast majority of today's active internet users gain access via wireless devices. This demand is set to rise by several orders of magnitude in the coming few years, thanks to data intensive applications like video-streaming and virtual/augmented reality, and the deluge in the number of autonomous and intelligent connected devices.
This position is focused on developing principled (information) theoretic foundations that will guide the design of next-generation wireless technology and networks. Key to this research is understanding the basic nature of multi-user interference - a major hindering factor in wireless networks. It is only through a fundamental understanding of interference that we will be able to overcome the limitations of today's wireless technology and networks; and deliver reliable connectivity to large numbers of concurrent wireless devices.
Academic and Research Environment
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is one of Europe's top technological universities, situated in the heart of one of Europe's largest high-tech innovation ecosystems. Research at TU/e is characterized by a combination of academic excellence and a strong real-world impact. This impact is often obtained via close collaboration with high-tech industries.
Research related to this position will be carried out at the Signal Processing Systems (SPS) group, in particular, in the Information and Communication Theory (ICT) lab. The candidate will be supervised by Dr. Hamdi Joudeh and will have the opportunity to collaborate with various members of the lab/group/department. For more information, see:
- MSc degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering, with focus on Communications, Signal Processing, or closely related areas. Candidates with a degree in Mathematics may also apply.
- Latest degree should not be older than three years.
- Solid background in Information Theory and Wireless Communications.
- Knowledge of Network Information Theory, Detection and Estimation, and Coding Theory is highly desirable for this position.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal) is necessary.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary of € 2.395,00 in the first year and € 3.061,00 in the last year (on a fulltime basis). The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement of the Dutch Universities.
- Benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationDo you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact dr. Hamdi Joudeh, h.joudeh[at]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, please contact HR, hrservices.flux[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of two references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts (with course grades).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.