Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
PhD Position on High-precision Multi-level GaN-based Power Converters
The Power Electronics lab at the Eindhoven University of Technology has an open PhD position in high-precision power converters, focusing on developing advanced multi-level techniques for operating voltage extension of Gallium-Nitride semiconductor technology.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Power converters that are classically used for high voltage and high power applications have a limited switching frequency and thereby a limited output frequency bandwidth. However, with novel semiconductor technology and advanced power electronics topologies, we are aiming to improve these aspects significantly using gallium-nitride (GaN) based semiconductor technology.
The main focus of this PhD position is the development of advanced multi-level techniques to extend the operating voltage range of GaN semiconductor technology and to push the achievable output current bandwidth and precision. The ultimate goal is to have a converter suitable for symmetrical 1 kV output voltage range that realizes an effective switching frequency of 10 MHz, while reaching a THD of less than -100 dB. Numbers which are orders of magnitude apart from current state of the art, so the challenge is real. The candidate will work on this challenge by working on advanced modelling of components and converters (especially magnetics and semiconductors), optimization, and implementation-related issues such as cooling and integration. Eventually, you will make a full-scale laboratory prototype to demonstrate the developed technology.
This position is funded by the GaN4AP project, a project with over 40 academic and industrial partners. The global research objective of GaN4AP is to develop innovative Power Electronic Systems for power conversion and management with an advanced architecture and circuit topology based on state of the art GaN-based High Electron Mobility Transistors (HEMTs). Those HEMTs will be co-developed in a new concept high-frequency-compatible package. Additionally, new HEMT device architectures will be developed: AlScN-based HEMTs and Vertical HEMTs that will provide outstanding physical properties for highly efficient power transistors for close to 100% power circuit efficiency. Lastly, intelligent and integrated GaN-based circuit solutions will be developed in both System in Package (SiP) and Monolithic variants, which integrate a novel wire-bond free package, a state of the art BCD driver & controller.
Power electronics lab
This project will be carried out in the Power Electronics lab in the faculty of Electrical Engineering. The lab is world-leading in modeling, control and design techniques for power electronics, and in high-precision and high-performance power converters. Both fundamental and applied research is carried out and research collaborations with industrial partners are numerous.
We are looking for a candidate with a MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, with strong affinity to power electronics and the realization thereof, to state-of-the-art digital control, and mathematics. The selected candidate will be appointed in the Electromechanics and Power Electronics Group. The candidate should have:
- Experience in analog design and power electronics design.
- Strong programming skills (MATLAB, C, VHDL).
- Strong analytical and research capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to independently organize his/her own work, to solve problems, to achieve the desired goals and to cooperate.
- Work experience in an industrial environment is a plus.
- Project management skills are a plus.
- Ability to participate in the teaching process in BSc and MSc programs (both taught in English).
- Good scientific writing and documentation skills.
- Strong command of the English language, knowledge of Dutch language is a plus.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating internationally renowned research environment with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about the project?
Please contact dr.ir. Bas Vermulst, b.j.d.vermulst[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HR Services Flux, hrservices.flux[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s);
- Contact information of at least two references;
- Copies of diplomas with course grades;
- Graduation thesis.
- If your degree is not from an English-spoken program, a proof of proficiency in English must be included in your package (such as IELTS or TOEFL).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.