PhD studentship on integrated spectrometers
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands, http://www.tue.nl/psn) has an open PhD student …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands, http://www.tue.nl/psn) has an open PhD student position on integrated spectrometers.
Background: Spectral sensing for agro-food
In order to feed the growing world's population, we need to produce food more efficiently, while reducing the environmental impact of agriculture. This is only possible if we adapt the use of fertilisers and energy based on real-time data on crop's growth. Monitoring of fruit ripeness during storage and distribution is also needed to reduce food spoilage. Novel sensing technologies are needed to achieve this goal.
The spectrum of light reflected, transmitted or emitted by a material provides useful information on its (bio)chemical composition. Due to its simplicity and non-invasive nature, spectral sensing is increasingly used in the agro-food sector. The next step, portable spectral sensing for in-field applications, requires a radical change in the approach we use to measure the different spectral components of light. Nanophotonics, the science of controlling light propagation on the subwavelength scale, can provide the required solutions. Our group is pioneering a new approach to spectral sensing in the near-infrared, which enables gathering the required spectral information with an integrated semiconductor chip. In the framework of a large interdisciplinary program, recently granted by the Dutch government, we are going to further develop these spectral sensors and explore their application in precision agriculture.
The selected candidate will perform applied research in nanophotonics and optical sensing. He/she will conceive, realize and characterize integrated spectrometers where a novel design of the optical structure allows gathering information over a very broad spectral range (e.g. 1000-2000 nm). The project, supervised by Prof. A. Fiore, includes both fundamental aspects of nanophotonics and close collaboration with research groups and companies active in the agricultural sector. The PhD student will be integrated in a young, dynamic and highly collaborative team active in this area.
We welcome applications from candidates with a Master degree in physics or electrical engineering with top marks and with a background and interest in optics or photonics. Candidates must prove a strong attitude towards experimental physics and the drive and capacity to tackle different aspects of a complex problem with large independence.
ConditionsWe offer a fixed-term, 4 year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.325,00 (first year) and € 2.972,00 (last year).
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered for foreign students.
- Personal development program aimed to develop your social and communication skills (see http://www.tue.nl/PROOF3TU ).
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact prof.dr. A. Fiore (a.fiore[a]tue.nl)
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- half-page summary of your MSc thesis;
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature