PhD studentship on nanophotonic lab-on-fiber sensing
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands, http://www.tue.nl/psn) has an open PhD student …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands, http://www.tue.nl/psn) has an open PhD student position on nanophotonic lab-on-fiber sensing.
Background: Lab-on-fiber sensing
Optical fibers carry optical signals over large distances and are widely used for communications. They are also increasingly used for sensing, as they allow gathering information from environments which are far or hard to reach (from arteries to oil pipelines). Fiber sensors are compact, minimally-invasive and potentially inexpensive. However, the applications have so far mostly be limited to temperature and pressure/strain sensing. By building a sensor on the tip of the fiber and properly functionalizing it, it is in principle possible to sense all physical, chemical and biological properties of the environment, turning the fiber into a powerful sensing instrument. This 'lab-on-fiber' technology has so far been hampered by the difficulty of realizing the sensors on the tiny fiber tips. Our group has recently demonstrated a method to fabricate sensors on a semiconductor wafer and transfer them to a fiber tip. This allows harnessing the power of nanophotonics to build complex sensing structures on fiber tips and opens the way to a new generation of fiber sensors.
The selected candidate will perform applied research in nanophotonics and optical sensing. He/she will conceive, realize and characterize nanophotonic structures on fiber tips, and assess their application in concrete cases. We particularly aim at exploring and optimizing the coupling between the optical modes of the fiber and tightly confined fields in a photonic crystal membrane, investigating a novel generation of fiber-coupled optomechanical sensors, and demonstrate the sensing of antibodies.
The project, supervised by Prof. A. Fiore and co-supervised by Dr. P. Zijlstra, includes both fundamental aspects of nanophotonics and close collaboration with companies on practical application cases. The PhD student will be integrated in a young, dynamic and highly collaborative team active in this area.
We welcome applications from candidates with a Master degree in physics or electrical engineering and with a background in optics or photonics. Candidates must show interest in experimental physics and demonstrate the drive and capacity to tackle different aspects of a complex problem while working in a team.
ConditionsWe offer a fixed-term, 4 year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.395,00 (first year) and € 3.061,00 (last year).
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered for foreign students.
- Personal development program aimed to develop your social and communication skills (see http://www.tue.nl/PROOF3TU ).
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact prof.dr. A. Fiore (a.fiore[at]tue.nl)
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- half-page summary of your MSc thesis;
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
Candidates are urged to apply as soon as possible, as selection will start immediately.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 1 document up to 10 MB each.