Post-doctoral fellow on automatic machine learning
Challenging post-doctoral fellowship on next-gen automated machine learning (AutoML). You will design and implement AutoML systems that handle real-world data, multiple objectives (including fairness), and never stop learning, using meta-learning to transfer knowledge from previously learned models.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
We are seeking a highly creative and motivated post-doctoral fellow to join the Data Mining Group at the Eindhoven University of Technology. The candidate will be working in collaboration with dr. ir. Joaquin Vanschoren, as well as the OpenML core team and the TAILOR European Network of Excellence in AI.
The field of automated machine learning (AutoML) aims to automatically build machine learning models in a data-driven, objective, and automatic way. The user simply provides data, and the AutoML system automatically determines the approach that performs best for this particular application. Although the field is moving fast and substantial progress has been made, current solutions do not yet ensure robust and trustworthy models, and occasionally fail catastrophically.
First, we aim to ensure that AutoML can be used 'in the wild'. You will design methods to automatically handle messy real-world data, integrating methods and developing new methods for feature preprocessing, handling unstructured data, data with many defects, missing data, concept drift, and data wrangling.
Second, AutoML systems should be able to address multiple objectives, automatically determining the best tradeoff between performance and other objectives, including explainability, safety, and fairness.
Finally, AutoML systems should get better over time, producing increasingly better models requiring less and less data. Just like humans can learn new task extremely efficiently by building on a lifetime of experience on other related tasks, research into meta-learning can give us AI systems that will be much more efficient to train (sustainability) and will be more robust since they reuse previously learned patterns and representations. We aim to set up infrastructure (building on OpenML), collect (meta)data and prior trained models, and develop techniques that leverage this metadata to efficiently and automatically design novel open-ended AI systems.
This work will be done in close collaboration with the vibrant AutoML community, including many top AutoML teams at universities and companies.
We are looking for a motivated candidate with:
- A Doctorate in Computer Science (or similar);
- Advanced knowledge of machine learning techniques;
- Prior experience in meta-learning or automatic machine learning is an asset;
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills;
- Excellent programming skills. Experience with open source development is an asset;
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English;
- Creativity, free thinking, perseverance.
ConditionsWe offer you:
- An exciting job in a dynamic work environment
- A full time appointment for 1 year at Eindhoven University of Technology (www.tue.nl/en) with the possibility of an extension with one more year
- The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2,790 per month initially, up to € 4.402 per month.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including end-of-year bonus (8,3% in December), an extra holiday allowance (8% in May), moving expenses and excellent sports facilities.
Additional informationIf you are interested in this Postdoc position, use the 'apply now' button.
To be considered, you must upload the following documents (in pdf):
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, background and qualifications for the position,
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and contact information of two references),
- Copies of diplomas and a list of your courses taken and grades obtained,
- Half-page summary of your thesis,
- Proof of English language skills (if applicable)
Please be aware that you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.
Questions regarding the academic content of the position can be directed to:
Dr.ir. Joaquin Vanschoren, email: j.vanschoren[at]tue.nl
More information on employment conditions can be found here:
For additional information concerning employment conditions you can contact:the HR Services office (HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl)
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature