Postdoc on Challenge Based Learning in Engineering Ethics Education
The Philosophy and Ethics department at the Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Philosophy and Ethics department at the Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is seeking a post doc for a full-time position. Candidates will have earned a PhD in philosophy or other relevant fields by the date of application and demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching coordination, teaching, and research.
The candidate is expected to support redesign of a course sequence entitled 'Decisions under risk and uncertainty' in TU/e's User-Society-Enterprise (USE) program as well as support the learning network of partners in the SCALINGS H2020 project, to contribute to teaching, and to perform research on challenge-based learning in engineering ethics education.
TU/e is currently developing a challenge-based learning approach for parts of its education. In this educational approach, external stakeholders bring in a real-life problem with technical, user, societal and entrepreneurial aspects. In the USE program at the Bachelor level, students are expected to come up with a technical solution for the external stakeholder and reflect on how disciplines in humanities and social sciences have contributed to this solution. Teaching and administration at TU/e take place in English.
In the H2020 project SCALINGS on scaling up co-creations of innovation, six partners of the SCALINGS consortium are currently implementing challenge-based learning in philosophy (see 2 min video example here), STS or management courses.
The TU/e is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. As we aim to increase the diversity in our department and in the field of philosophy, we especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Supporting the development and management of challenge-based learning approaches. Your main task here will be to redesign the existing 15 ECTS course sequence 'Decision under Risk and Uncertainty' and move it from a more classical approach to a challenge-based learning approach including staff from the disciplines Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Management Studies, and Ethics. In the SCALINGS network, you will support the learning network on challenge-based learning
- Teaching in the Decision Under Risk and Uncertainty course sequence.
- Doing research on the challenge-based learning approach. You will be part of a larger TU/e network of people doing research on this. Your specific focus will be on the use of this approach in 'USE,' ethics, STS, and management courses in engineering education, and on the possibilities or difficulties to scale this type of education.
- PhD relevant for the tasks.
- Highly qualified in teaching in experiential contexts (related to Challenge-Based Learning)
- Demonstrate excellent course design managements skills
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publication(s).
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Be a team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary context.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- Full-time or 0,8 fte employment for 2 to 2,5 years.
- Access to high-quality training programs for research and valorization and professional development courses.
- A gross monthly salary between € 3.353,- and € 4.402,- (on a fulltime basis), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you see yourself fitting this position and would you like to know more? Please contact Gunter Bombaerts, Coordinator USE and TU/e-coordinator SCALINGS, g.bombaerts[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, please contact Kim Spinder - van Puijenbroek, HR Advisor, hrservices.ieis[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Please upload your documents in 1 combined file.