PostDoc on Mathematics Education
Do you have a solid background in Mathematics Education research and want to further develop in the field? With this position you have the opportunity to do research in mathematics teacher education, with an additional focus on multilingual mathematics learning.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 uur
FunctieomschrijvingProject aim and description
You will work in Erasmus+ projects concerned with investigating the conditions for in-practice teacher professional development (PD). Particularly, the projects are concerned with identifying the factors that make lesson study / critical inquiry successful. Accordingly, the candidate should be willing to become expert in the area of inquiry based mathematics teacher education (such as Lesson study, professional learning communities) and will conduct research in this field.
A particular additional focus will be how mathematics teachers can be facilitated to attend to multiple languages in the mathematics classroom. The projects use qualitative research methods and investigate teachers' learning processes over time. The candidate is encouraged to develop his/her/their research within these projects.
Erasmus+ projects entail the collaboration with multiple partners across Europe (in this case Cyprus, Greece, Belgium, but also Norway and Germany), which also requires frequent travelling.
Responsibilities of the position include, among others:
- Building and sustaining a network of collaborating teachers and schools.
- Acting as expert to support teachers during PD activities.
- Support of the development of PD activities.
- Data collection and -analysis (video data).
- Support in publication of results (research and practice-oriented journals)
The candidate will work in the research group of Eindhoven School of Education (ESoE) in the Netherlands, specifically in the mathematics education research group led by prof.dr. Birgit Pepin. The supervisor is dr. Alexander Schüler-Meyer.
ESoE is the expertise center of Eindhoven University of Technology in the field of education and professional development of (future) teachers and research and education innovation in both secondary and higher education. ESoE is active in three areas: education, research and innovation.
- Do you have a PhD degree in Mathematics Education?
- Do you have experience with teacher PD and/or educational design research?
- Do you want to learn how to improve mathematics teacher education?
- Do you like to work in international projects?
- Do you dream of contributing to the mathematics education research community?
- Are you fluent in English and, preferably, Dutch?
If so, you are the right candidate for this position.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- An employment for 1 year (0,8 FTE) with a possible extension for 2 years (under reserve of financing)
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Alexander Schüler-Meyer (a.k.schuelermeyer[at]tue.nl; +31 (0)40 247 6097).
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.flux[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- a cover letter,
- statement of research interests,
- a CV with publication list,
- and names of three references.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Deadline for application is 20th of February 2022. The job interviews are expected to take place at the beginning of March (likely March 7th.-March 11th.).
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.