3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PostDoc on Secure-and-Safe-by-Design Networked Control Systems
Eindhoven University of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, has a postdoctoral fellowship position for the project: Secure-and-Safe-by-Design …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Eindhoven University of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, has a postdoctoral fellowship position for the project:
Secure-and-Safe-by-Design Networked Control Systems
in the Dynamical Systems Design (DSD) division (Comprised of both the Dynamics and Control (D&C) and the Control System Technology (CST) groups.
The Dynamical Systems Design (DSD) division at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is looking for a talented postdoctoral fellow to work on developing analysis and synthesis tools for secure networked control systems.
The broad goal of the project is to characterize the class of controllers that leads to a safe closed-loop system (trajectories contained inside prescribed safe sets): 1) in terms of input-output controller trajectories (data-based schemes); and 2) parametrized by the structure of the considered controllers (e.g., dynamic output feedback, high-gain, and feedback linearizing controllers) and uncertainty sets (fractional order and integral quadratic constraints representations).
We aim at synthesizing real-time control algorithms that, on the one hand, satisfy the required prescribed control performance; and, on the other hand, guarantee a safe operation of the closed-loop dynamics under adversarial attacks. The main research questions to be addressed in the project are: Depending on the class of systems under study (e.g., linear, nonlinear, stochastic, hybrid, etc.), how to properly select security metrics that make sense from the point of view of dynamical systems? Given a particular security metric, control scheme, and communication protocol, how to quantify the system safety level? And, what synthesis tools can be used to systematically design controllers and communication protocols to maximize security and guarantee prescribed control performance?
About Eindhoven University of Technology
Eindhoven University of Technology is a research-driven university of international standing, where excellent research and excellent education go hand in hand. We focus on a balanced approach towards education, research and valorization of knowledge in the areas of engineering science and technology. From our lively campus, situated in the heart of the high-tech Brainport region and equipped with high-quality lab facilities, we make an impact on scientific and societal issues. We do this by delivering excellent groundbreaking research, often in close collaboration with industry, and by providing the education that turns our students into engineers of the future. Our engineers understand what the world needs and can translate scientific knowledge into societal value. To achieve this, we collaborate closely with other universities, scientific institutes, social organizations, government, and industry. We strengthen the knowledge-intensive industry by providing young academic engineers and by generating new business. We combine top-notch fundamental research with an application-oriented educational approach, characterized by frequent and intensive student-teacher interaction. This is all part of a tight-knit, small-scale community consisting of more than 80 nationalities, where everyone feels welcome and where the well-being of students and staff matters.
Dynamical Systems Design (DSD) division
The Dynamical Systems Design (DSD) division at TU/e trains the next generation of students to understand and predict the dynamics of complex engineering systems in order to develop advanced control, estimation, planning, and learning strategies which are at the core of the intelligent autonomous systems of the future. Autonomous vehicles, fully automated industrial value chains, high-tech systems, collaborative robots in unstructured environments, intelligent medical devices, automated transportation networks, soft robotics, together with sustainable automotive technology are key examples of the broad application domain of the DSD division. The design of these systems requires a thorough understanding of their underlying dynamics. Therefore, the first focal point of our research is on both data-based and first-principles-based modelling, model complexity management, and dynamic analysis of complex, multi-physics and multi-disciplinary engineering systems. Building on this foundation, our second focal point is on 'making autonomous systems smarter'. To this end, we develop both model- and data-based sensing, planning, and learning and control technologies to provide autonomous systems with the intelligence needed to guarantee performance, robustness, and safety. Combining the investigation on both dynamics and control theory in one section allows to take on these challenges standing in a privileged position. In particular, it enables us to educate uniquely skilled engineers and researchers as well as to valorize our research together with the high-tech, automotive and energy sectors.
Brainport Eindhoven Region
The Brainport Eindhoven is a world-class top technology region, in which companies, governments, and educational institutions (the so-called triple helix collaboration) work together on advancing technology for humanity. Brainport Eindhoven is among Europe's most prominent and innovative high-tech centers, where high-tech and design are combined with high-end manufacturing industry and entrepreneurship. Geographically situated in the southern part of the Netherlands, the Brainport region has a workforce of 400,000 people from all over the world working on high-tech solutions in areas such as health, mobility, energy, and nutrition. The region generates, by far, the most patents per thousand inhabitants in the world.
We are looking for a talented, and enthusiastic candidate who meets the following criteria:
- PhD degree (or an equivalent university degree) in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Physics, Applied Mathematics, Robotics, or related disciplines.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong Matlab programming skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Experience in the field of networked control systems (security) is a plus.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for two years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your postdoc and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for postdocs (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities. A salary is offered starting at € 3408 per month (gross).
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- The possibility (for overseas applicants) to apply for the 30% tax regulation in order to get a higher net salary. In case the tax office will grant the application for the 30% regulation, he/she will receive a higher net amount per month for a maximum of five years.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationDo you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Michelle Chong, m.s.t.chong[at]tue.nl or dr. Carlos Murguia, c.g.murguia[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.Gemini[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you briefly describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and the contact information of three references.
- PhD diploma (and transcript if applicable).
- Brief description of your PhD thesis.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine your files.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature