1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
PostDoc Position Collection Care
The department of the Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has a vacancy for a
PostDoc Position Collection Care (part of the Horizon2020 project 814624).
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
This vacancy is within the chair of Applied Mechanics of the department of the Built Environment. The chair is responsible for education and research in the field mechanics, and is working on multi-scale, multi-physics and optimization problems related to the built environment. The chair provides the mechanics courses in the Department of the Built Environment, and is a member of the Graduate School on Engineering Mechanics, Netherlands. This graduate school offers the PhD students and PostDocs an advanced training program in the field of Engineering Mechanics, of which the core is formed by a joint series of advanced graduate courses that are closely connected to state-of-the-art research themes.
Paper based materials exhibit significant deformations upon moisture content variations, involving dimensional changes at different length scales. These may be also accompanied by irreversible shrinkage and accelerated creep phenomena. Additionally, spontaneous chemical degradation of paper may occur, due to oxidation processes taking place at the level of the crystalline structure and in the polymer chains of cellulose. These are crucial problems in the conservation of paper-based ancient documents.
The goal of this PostDoc project is to perform experimental work to understand and predict paper degradation and aging of historical documents, in order to formulate physically based conservation practice guidelines to be used by conservators.
The project is embedded within a H2020 project with contributions from a large international consortium of partners, led by the Polythenical University of Valencia (Spain), and including several important research institutions (e.g. Universitá La Sapienza, Italy; KADK, Denmark) and museums (e.g. The Royal Danish Collection, Denmark; Koninklijke Musea Voor Kunst En Geschiedenis, Belgium; Istoriki Ethnologiki Etaireia Elladas, Greece).
The PostDoc project at the Chair of Applied Mechanics of the Department of the Built Environment will focus on the study of the long term response of paper based artefacts, through a multi-scale and multi-physics approach. Paper is a complex multi-scale material mainly consisting of cellulose fibres bonded to each other to form a discrete network. A model to describe chemical and mechanical degradation of the fibrous network is currently being developed by a PhD student enrolled in the same project. The experiments will focus on measuring mechanical and chemical properties of paper at both the sheet level and the fiber level as a function of time, allowing to quantify the extent of degradation due to both the hysteretic response of the material upon moisture cycles and the chemical damage associated to cellulose degradation.
We are looking for a candidate with a PhD in Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with an interest to work in an interdisciplinary project that applies a combined experimental/modelling approach to the fields of art conservation and restoration. Moreover, the following skills are required:
- knowledge in solid mechanics,
- experience on experimental work, especially on fibrous materials
- excellent oral and writing skills in English
- an enthusiastic attitude to collaborate in a cooperative and multi-disciplinary environment,
- basic knowledge of chemistry is a plus.
- An exciting job in a multidisciplinary environment.
- A full time appointment for two years.
- A gross monthly salary from €3.255 to € 4.274 (salary scale 10 in line with the Collective Agreement for Dutch Universities). In addition, employees receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of the year allowance.
- The possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- Besides this, the TU/e has an excellent package of attractive benefits for employees, a child-care facility, and a modern sports complex.
- Assistance for finding accommodation can be given.
- The TU/e also offers opportunities for personal development. We do this by offering employees opportunities to follow courses to develop themselves by following courses and visiting conferences (Information can be found on: https://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/development-and-career/scientific-personnel/phd-and-postdoc/providing-opportunities-for-phd-students-3tu/)
Additional informationFor more information on the position, please contact Dr. E. Bosco (e.bosco[at]tue.nl) or Prof. Dr. A. Suiker (a.s.j.suiker[at]tue.nl ). Information about the employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/careers/working-conditions/
You can respond to this vacancy via our application page www.tue.nl/jobs by clicking on
the button "Solliciteer op deze vacature / Apply for this job". We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Your application should consist of the following documents:
• A Statement of Purpose explaining your motivation and qualifications for this position.
• A detailed Curriculum Vitae, including a complete publication list;
• A copy of - or a link to - your PhD thesis;
• 2 letters of recommendation.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature