Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
Postdoc Position: High density InP active devices for micro-transfer printing
Photonic integrated circuit (PIC) technology powers the modern internet, enabling video calls, data-mining and associated cloud services. Besides that, PIC …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Photonic integrated circuit (PIC) technology powers the modern internet, enabling video calls, data-mining and associated cloud services. Besides that, PIC technology is also penetrating into applications of medical diagnostics, sensing and ranging, quantum signal processing and artificial intelligence. These applications are driving unprecedented levels of integration and complexity. But the circuit-level performance metrics are stretching the limits of the established PIC platforms. The three major PIC platforms, namely InP, silicon and silicon nitride (SiN), each excels in certain key metrics, but also shows critical weakness.
It is the goal of the EU H2020 project INSPIRE to combine the power of InP technology with the full capability of silicon and SiN photonic technology, creating and leveraging volume manufacturing techniques. INSPIRE will leverage micro-transfer printing technology to realize heterogeneous InP/SiN photonic integrated circuits, combining the best of both the InP and Si/SiN photonics technologies. Wafer scale coverage of InP devices on SiN circuits will be enabled, using new and innovative hybrid building blocks and printing methods. This can facilitate order-of-magnitude changes in density, performance and function of the PICs.
Within the INSPIRE project, we have one postdoc researcher open position at TU/e. The main task of the postdoc will focus on novel epitaxial growth and regrowth technologies on the InP coupon, to achieve higher integration density and better thermal management in an array of active devices, e.g., semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs), lasers, electro-optic modulators and photodiodes. It is also the ambition to integrate multiple active functions within one coupon, which has not been achieved before. The postdoc will collaborate closely with a PhD student within the same project, looking over the overall technology development at a higher level.
The postdoc will also collaborate with INSPIRE partners in various work packages.
The Institute for Photonic Integration (IPI) has five dynamic and ambitious research groups, which are closely cooperating: a systems group, a photonic integration technology group and three materials research groups. You will work in the Photonic Integration group (PhI) which has about 35 members, 20 of which are PhD students. The IPI (previously COBRA) is internationally leading on advanced InP-based Photonic Integrated Circuits technology.
See http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0268-1242/29/8/083001. The technology development and device realization will be supported by experienced technicians in our
world-class cleanroom facilities at Nanolab@TU/e (www.tue.nl/nanolab).
- PhD degree in Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- Strong background in integrated photonics, semiconductor devices and physics (preferably with experience in active devices such as semiconductor optical amplifiers).
- Good knowledge in (numerical) modelling and component optical/electrical/thermal design.
- Experience in experimental work, of which cleanroom microfabrication and chip characterization are an advantage.
- Ability to work with experts from a broad range of scientific and technology backgrounds.
- Good writing and documentation skills, excellent analytical skills and communication ability.
- Ability to organize his/her own work independently to pursue the project-oriented goals.
- A 2-year fixed-term position, with possibilities for extension, in a research group with an excellent reputation and strong collaboration with industry.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities (scale 10).
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation can be offered for foreigners.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Yuqing Jiao, y.jiao[at]tue.nl for more information about the project.
For information concerning employment conditions click here or contact HR Services Flux,
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, background and qualifications for the position,
- A detailed curriculum vitae including research experience and a list of publications and awards,
- Contact details of two relevant references (email, phone number),
- Copies of diplomas and a list of your courses taken and grades obtained,
- Proof of English language skills (if applicable), and
- All other information that might be relevant.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.