Ongeveer 22 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
Postdoc Prediction of residual stresses based on discrete particle simulations
The postdoc position is available in the Mechanics of Materials section, and is part of a large-scale collaborative European project Moore4Medical, …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The postdoc position is available in the Mechanics of Materials section, and is part of a large-scale collaborative European project Moore4Medical, coordinated by Philips Research.
The postdoc will be supervised by Dr. Olaf van der Sluis and Dr. Johan Hoefnagels (https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/mechanics-of-materials/).
The performance, and in particular the frequency response and output pressure, of MEMS-based ultra-sound transducers critically relies on the residual stresses within the ultrathin multilayer membranes that generate the ultrasonic waves. These stresses arise during thin film manufacturing processes in a cleanroom environment (e.g., PECVD, ALD), and might even result in premature cracking. The aim of this Postdoc project is to establish the relation between thin film manufacturing processes and the residual stress in the thin film stack, with an emphasis on intrinsic/growth stresses. To this end, the thin film deposition processes, including relevant atomistic film growth mechanisms, will be modelled by means of discrete particle simulation techniques.
We are looking for a highly experienced candidate with a PhD degree in mechanical engineering, physics, materials science, applied mathematics or similar. The candidate should have thorough knowledge of continuum mechanics, materials science, discrete particle simulation techniques such as (Coarse Grained) Molecular Dynamics, the (Extended) Discrete Element Method, and/or Monte Carlo methods, and thin film deposition processes, combined with strong programming (preferably in LAMMPS) and mathematical skills and a good physics intuition. The ideal candidate has excellent scientific skills as well as outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- A full-time job in a highly motivated team in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences. You will be part of a large-scale multidisciplinary European collaboration project where expertise of a variety of disciplines comes together. The TU/e is located in one of the smartest regions of the world and part of the European technology hotspot 'Brainport Eindhoven'; well-known because
of many high-tech industries and start-ups. A place to be for talented scientists!
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Assistance for finding accommodation can be given.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. O. van der Sluis, o.v.d.sluis[at]tue.nl or dr. Johan Hoefnagels, J.P.M.Hoefnagels[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HR Advice ME, HRadviceME[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.