Postdoctoral fellow position for advanced materials for soft robotics
Vacancy is available for post-doctoral research fellow in the field of advanced materials for soft robotic applications at the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), The Netherlands
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Soft robotics is a relatively new subfield of robotics that deals with constructing robotic functions from compliant materials. Soft technologies and integrated soft systems can revolutionize the use of robotic devices, for instance in applications where elastic versatility and safe human/machine interactions are needed. It is predicted, and certainly has the potential, to lead to the development of radically new generations of machines. The examples are numerous. In the medical world, they will increasingly assist surgery, in-vivo therapeutic treatments or contribute to the rehabilitation of disabilities by exoskeletons. Soft robotic functions have the perspective to enhance the communication between man and machine or between machines mutually. We foresee that we can make materials that can feel, sense, behave and act as human skins, but with enhanced sensitivity and accuracy. They can be used as stand-alone and autonomous devices, but also be applied as coating or integrated with electronics or even with biological material to perform functions not accessible otherwise. And as a long-term perspective one can foresee the development of evolutionary self-developing soft robotics following nature's approach to intelligent soft machines.
In our research team we develop responsive materials that address the advancing needs in specialized medicine, man-machine communication and miniaturized mechanics. Smart soft materials are in potential capable to fill in gaps in present technologies and to generate new, specialized functions making use of their ability to adapt their shape, to comply to confined and sensible spaces and to provide their functional duty on location.
A key aspect of our projects is to translate molecular effects to macroscopic phenomena which, in turn translate into (robotic) devices. Consequently, the approach to successfully develop new robotic functions adapted to their field of application must be multidisciplinary, containing all the aspects from materials design/development, photonics, electronics and mechanics. In the material, the various molecular functions are brought together, and the soft robot is given a body, which can be as simple as a thin film actuator or coating, but also be complex consisting of a composite of materials in an accurate three-dimensional shape. It brings organic and inorganic materials together in hybrid materials, built around soft electronics. More information can be found at www.danqingliu.nl.
We are looking for a talented, motivated and enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher who meet the following requirements:
- Background in chemical engineering, physics, mechanical engineering, materials science, electric engineering or bioengineering.
- Prior knowledge in soft matters, responsive materials and experience in microscopic techniques and device fabrication/ characterization are appreciated.
- Ability to independently work within a dynamic team and multidisciplinary research environment.
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for one year with possibility to extend another year or two.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationMore information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Danqing Liu, d.liu1[at]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact ms. P.J. van de Weijer,
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
The selection of applicants and the job interviews will start immediately until we find a suitable candidate.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way. Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
For this vacancy we will recruit simultaneously both internal as external. In the case of equal suitability internal candidates take priority over external candidates.
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure. Acquisition as a result of this advertisement is not appreciated.