Postdoctoral researcher Animal-free milk proteins
Are you enthusiastic about advanced scattering and microscopy tools?
Do you want to contribute to the protein transition?
Are you interested in self-assembly, engineered proteins and nanoparticles?
Are you passionate about science and keen to interact with others?
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
In the newly founded consortium 'Animal-free milk proteins' which involves many companies, Wageningen University and Eindhoven University of Technology, we aim to create large colloidal particles called casein micelles from caseins which are not derived from cow milk. The consortium will focus through various parallel subprojects on 1) production of the right caseins by yeast, 2) reconstitution of casein micelles from these caseins, 3) the physical properties of these reconstituted caseins, 4) cheese preparation from the reconstituted casein micelles and investigation of casein digestibility, 5) social aspects of this novel way of producing milk, and 6) the economic feasibility and sustainability of this process. In this project you will use scattering, electron and super-resolution microscopy tools to develop strategies to reconstitute casein micelles upon co-assembly of various yeast-derived caseins. You will study the (dis)assembly pathways, size, shape, stability and other properties of the reconstituted micelles. Our aim is to develop a versatile approach to assemble from the individual, animal-free milk proteins casein micelles with a tailored composition, dimensions, morphology and stability, so that these hydrocolloids can be used to prepare dairy products like cheese.
- PhD in physical chemistry, soft matter, experimental (bio)physics, or related discipline. Experience with self-assembly, (milk) proteins, scattering tools, and super-resolution microscopy. Knowledge of food science is preferred.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated by an outstanding PhD thesis and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong motivation to do excellent, original, fundamental research.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Independent and goal-oriented scientist. Team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international context.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for 1+2 years.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research, valorization and professional development
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationFor further information on this vacancy please contact
Prof. Dr. Ir. Ilja Voets, i.voets[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5303
For information about terms of employment, please click here or contact Leo van Houten, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from one or more of your references.
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.