Ongeveer 22 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
Tenure-track Assistant Prof. Artificial Intelligence assisted Synthetic Biology
The Department of Biomedical Engineering has a vacancy for a Tenure-track Assistant Professor Artificial Intelligence assisted Synthetic Biology.
3 maanden geleden
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) offers a research driven BME Bachelor program and Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Engineering in its Graduate Program. Its research areas range from Molecular Bioengineering and Imaging, Biomechanics and Tissue Engineering to Biomedical Imaging and Modelling. The department has more than 800 students and up to 200 tenured and non-tenured employees.
Institute for Complex Molecular Systems
The Institute for Complex Molecular Systems (ICMS) is an interdisciplinary institute at the TU/e which brings excellent researchers from different areas together to promote cross-breeding of ideas across disciplines in the departments Biomedical Engineering, Applied Physics, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering. The institute aims to create and study biologically relevant functional structures with the ultimate goal of understanding the complexity of life. The new faculty member will be part of the Grip of Complexity program which focuses on fundamental research that combines experiments and data analysis with mathematical modeling, analysis and control.
See here for more information about the department, here or more information about the current research programs and here for more information about the Grip of Complexity program.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is ranked as one of the most innovative universities located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands, the Brainport region. The unique positioning in one of Europe's leading tech regions also means excellent job opportunities for spouses. TU/e actively facilitates career opportunities for partners of successful candidates. Eindhoven is the fifth largest city in the Netherlands, and including suburbs, it has about 420,000 inhabitants. Our training and research programs are highly regarded, and we foster close relationships with companies, organizations, and research institutes in the Brainport region and beyond. Fundamental and applied research are equally valued here. The high rank of the TU/e is due to the impact of its scientific research and also to its scientific copublications with industry. TU/e is a social and inspiring university with a vibrant culture. Surrounded by people who share your scientific ambitions, we translate our basic research into meaningful solutions. The TU/e currently has nine departments, with over 11,000 students in total.
Artificial Intelligence assisted Synthetic Biology
Synthetic biology is the application of engineering principles to the design and implementation of biological systems. Synthetic biology holds the potential for revolutionary advances in medicine, materials and environmental remediation. However, the number of interactions in biological systems makes manual low-level design unmanageable. In recent years, the integration of synthetic biology and artificial intelligence has shown potential to improve the design and construction of biological systems by employing data-driven approaches. The person in this Assistant Professor position will employ machine learning approaches that integrate the experimental and computational design of of new biological molecules and cellular systems with unprecedented new functions. The new faculty member will be expected to develop a strong, internationally recognized program that integrates AI and synthetic biology. Examples of relevant research topics include, but are not limited to: i) Machine learning assisted computational protein design and protein engineering, ii) Machine learning assisted design of novel cellular functions and iii) the use of combined high-throughput and deep learning approaches to interrogate regulatory design principles.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile,
you will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes).
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
More information can be obtained from the links of the relevant research groups connected to this position:
Questions regarding the academic content of the position can be directed to
prof.dr.ir. Tom F.A. de Greef, t.f.a.d.greef[at]tue.nl.
For information concerning employment conditions at the TU/e, click here or contact
HR Services, HRServices.Gemini[at]tue.nl.
Click here for information about the Biomedical Engineering department at TU/e.
If you are interested in this position, you can only use the 'apply now'-button on this page.
Your application must contain the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position
- A detailed CV
- A detailed list of publications and achievements
- A research statement
- A teaching statement
- The contact information of three referees
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled. We are committed to the cause of gender equality and, in case of equal suitability, we give preference to female candidates.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.