Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Probability
The Statistics, Probability and Operations Research (SPOR) cluster of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position in the area of Probability (PROB).
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Within the SPOR cluster, Probability (PROB) is one of the four disciplinary pillars, with one full-time and one part-time full professors, one associate professor, two assistant professors, three post-docs, and around 7 PhD students. The research in PROB focuses on probabilistic networks and their applications in statistical physics and networking. It seeks at developing mathematical models and methods to understand and analyze such systems. A special focus is on the structure of random graphs, algorithms and stochastic processes on them. A common thread is that such systems display an enormous level of heterogeneity, an aspect that is absent in most classical models. The main aim is to identify the scaling behavior for such systems. Applications include physics, social networks, citation networks, centrality in networks, information and disease spread, and complex systems such as arising in chemistry and biomedical engineering. Data play an ever-increasing role, both as inspiration for model choices, as well as for the analysis of such models.
While the research topics are strongly inspired by applications, the approach is foundational in nature and driven by mathematical rigor. Key methodological tools are stochastic processes, large deviations, random walks, branching processes, combinatorial expansions and weak convergence and coupling techniques.
The new faculty member is encouraged to contribute to the PROB research activities on all levels, and particularly develop initiatives to further the collaboration with the NETWORKS partners inside and outside the SPOR cluster. The position is funded by NETWORKS. The position is further jointly advertised with a Tenure-Track position at Utrecht University on Complex Systems, and specifically aims to further the collaborations with the Mathematics Department of Utrecht University on the topic of complex systems and networks. You are encouraged to enthusiastically engage in the teaching activities of the SPOR cluster, and to build and strengthen connections within the cluster as well collaborations with other departments at TU/e and external parties. A proven track record to pursue application areas that expand the current research frontiers, or forge links with related scientific fields, is considered an important asset, and active involvement in interdisciplinary research projects is encouraged. Experience in acquiring external funding provides a significant advantage.
- A PhD degree in mathematics, preferably related to the described research area;
- Ample experience in scientific research, as reflected in internationally refereed publications;
- International recognition by experts in the field;
- Experience in (content-wise) coaching of the research work of others;
- Experience in initiating research projects and acquiring the necessary funding;
- Able to strengthen the fundamental and applied research of the group and cluster, to initiate new research directions and to establish links with other research programs at UU, TU/e, within NETWORKS, in The Netherlands, and abroad;
- Creativity and dedication to (multi-disciplinary) collaboration;
- Ability to perform managerial tasks and services to the professional community beyond the group and cluster;
- A long-term stay of around six months at a university abroad as a (guest) researcher;
- Extensive teaching experience and/or proven didactic skills;
- Excellent proficiency in English (written and verbal);
- Motivating and inspiring personality.
- We provide a meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- We offer a Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. After a maximum of four years, the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- The salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary is included.
- We offer a broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationAbout us
The Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and prominent position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Questions regarding the scientific aspects can be directed to prof. dr. Remco van der Hofstad (r.w.v.d.hofstad[at]tue.nl).
For information about terms of employment, see here contact the recruiter, Ms. Elly van den Eertwegh (e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl or + 31 (0)6 39186476).
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected publications.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.