Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Two PhD Positions: Optoelectronic engines for future datacenters
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has the following two PhD student vacancies for research on high-speed optical transceivers for datacenters, in the …
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has the following two PhD student vacancies for research on high-speed optical transceivers for datacenters, in the research group Photonic Integration (PhI) of the department of Electrical Engineering.
Two PhD Positions: Optoelectronic engines for next generation datacenter interconnection
Rapidly growing cloud applications, big data, Internet-of-Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning are the main drivers for the explosion of datacenter traffic which is foreseen to reach 19.5 ZB per year by 2021 ramping up from 6 ZB in 2016. The increasing traffic demands impose a huge challenge for datacenter operators since they have to keep pace with the increasing speeds dictated by modern datacenter applications. The transceiver modules need to evolve to higher operation speed and more parallel channels, in order to meet the speed demands.
Photonic integrated circuits (PICs) based on Indium Phosphide (InP) material system offers a powerful tool to the datacenter interconnection challenge. The InP-based PICs can integrate lasers, modulators, detectors and waveguide circuitry in a single chip with benefits of speed, efficiency, size and cost.
We have two PhD positions in a large EU-funded project TWILIGHT. In this project, TU/e has a central role in the development of optoelectronic engines for next-generation datacenter transceivers and switch matrices. The optoelectronic engines will be powered by the InP photonic membrane technology, which will be further co-designed and co-integrated with partner's high performance InP-HBT electronics ICs to realize advanced system-in-package (SiP).
Position 1: High speed datacenter transceivers on an InP membrane nanophotonic platform
This position will develop high-speed transceivers on the InP membrane platform, in close cooperation with our partners in KTH, Sweden. The project will include device-level simulations (optical, electrical, thermal), device and circuit layout, process flow design, and device fabrication in the Nanolab@TUe cleanroom.
Position 2: Co-integration of high-performance InP photonics and electronics
This position will focus on co-design and co-integrate the InP membrane photonics with InP HBT electronics at wafer-scale. The project will be in close cooperation with our partner III-V Labs France. This will include device and circuit level simulations, building up system-level know-how (incl. RF and thermal management) and key technology development in the Nanolab@TUe cleanroom.
The Institute for Photonic Integration (IPI) has five dynamic and ambitious research groups, which are closely cooperating: a systems group, a photonic integration technology group and three materials research groups. You will work in the Photonic Integration group (PhI) which has about 35 members, 20 of which are PhD students. The IPI (previously COBRA) is internationally leading on advanced InP-based Photonic Integrated Circuits technology. See http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0268-1242/29/8/083001. The technology development and device realization will be supported by experienced technicians in our world-class cleanroom facilities at Nanolab@TU/e (www.tue.nl/nanolab).
- Masters degree in Applied Physics, Optical Science or Electrical Engineering
- Affinity for photonic and electronic devices and circuits
- Background in semiconductor devices and general knowledge about semiconductor physics, modelling and component design.
- Experience with clean room microfabrication technology is of an advantage
- Ability to work with experts from a broad range of scientific and technology backgrounds
- Fluent spoken and written English
The candidates will collaborate with the TWILIGHT consortium, which includes experts on HBT electronics, high-speed laser modulation, electronic and photonic circuit design, photonic-electronic assembly and packaging, system-level architecture, etc.
ConditionsWe offer you:
- An exciting job in a dynamic work environment
- The possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full time appointment for four years at Eindhoven University of Technology (www.tue.nl/en)
- The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2,325 per month initially, to € 2,972 in the fourth year.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including end-of-year bonus (8,3% in December), an extra holiday allowance (8% in May), moving expenses and excellent sports facilities.
We are searching for suitable candidates in anticipation of a grant agreement to be signed. When official approval is received, we can definitively commit to hire the candidates.
- Questions regarding the academic content of the position can be directed to dr. Yuqing Jiao (y.jiao[at]tue.nl) or prof. Kevin Williams (k.a.williams[at]tue.nl).
- For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Tanja van Waterschoot ( (t.a.m.v.waterschoot[at]tue.nl).
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/
You can respond to this vacancy by clicking on the button "Solliciteer op deze vacature / Apply for this job". We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
For your application, please upload:
- a brief letter motivating your interest and suitability for the position,
- a detailed curriculum vitae including research experience,
- transcripts of academic records indicating courses taken (including grades),
- half-page summary of your MSc thesis,
- contact details of two relevant references (email, phone number).
You can upload a maximum of 5 documents of up to 10 MB each.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature