Unravelling Magnetic Twists: the magic of chiral magnetic textures
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated experimental physics candidate with an affinity for experimental physics and creativity to mould nanoscale magnetic interactions into chiral magnetic textures.
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Chirality lies at the heart of some of the most fascinating phenomena in nature, e.g. DNA and chiral molecules. Chiral magnetic textures have recently been identified to be at the base of the some of the most exciting and promising future electronic devices. This project aims to understand the behaviour of chiral magnetic textures by experimentally studying its governing fundamental interactions at the nanoscale. This project will use a variety of experimental methods, ranging from direct fabrication methods to advanced analysis tools. Most notably for this project an in-situ scanning electron microscopy with polarization analysis (SEMPA) is available which allows for the full 3D mapping of the magnetization vector, on the nanoscale. This gives us novel and direct insight into the fundamental interactions that determine the magnetic chirality. Hence, if you are fascinated by chirality, nanotechnology and spintronics and their solutions to societal issues and want to perform research at the highest level, come and join us!
This project is part of the NWO Gravitation research project on Integrated NanoPhotonics of the Applied Physics and Electronic Engineering departments at the Eindhoven University of Technology. The PhD students will be enrolled in the TU/e Doctorate Program allowing for a wide range of personal development options.
The fascinating possibility to combine on-chip photonics and chiral magnetic textures may have a huge impact on the realization of future data, memory and logic architectures. The recent demonstrations of highly efficient current induced chiral domain wall motion in ferrimagnetic structures and the all-optical-switching of magnetic domains bring this prospect one step closer to reality. In the Gravitation project on Integrated Nanophotonics at the TU/e and the Integrated Photonics Institute (IPI) we are exploring this multi-disciplinary approach which could add a revolutionary functionality to photonic circuits whilst breaking ground in the fundamentals of magnetic textures of ultrathin engineered magnetic systems.
For this function we are looking for a talented and highly motivated experimental physics candidate with a fascination for chiral magnetic textures. This PhD position is for four years and is embedded in a larger research cluster with other partners. We would like to see the following requirements fulfilled:
- The candidate should hold a recently (<1 year) obtained Master of Science when staring the position or equivalent degree in experimental physics.
- Candidates should have experience in condensed matter physics and preferably knowledge in the field of nanomagnetism / spintronics and/or device fabrication. .
Candidates must have a strong affinity with experimental physics and the drive and capacity to tackle complex problems with large independence.
- a challenging job in a stimulating internationally-renowned environment at a dynamic and ambitious university
- a full-time temporary appointment for 4 years
- a gross salary between € 2.325,00 per month (first year) and € 2.972,00 per month (last year)
- additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements;
- an extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. excellent technical infrastructure, the possibility of child care and excellent sports facilities)
All PhD studentships in Applied Physics include a limited contribution to educational tasks of the department, equivalent to around 5% of the contract time. Please note that for candidates with specific interest in teaching and education there are options for a 5-year PhD studentship with a total equivalent of around 25% educational tasks. Please express your interest to the vacancy holder/supervisor in charge.
Additional informationFor information about this vacancy, please send an email to r.lavrijsen[at]tue.nl
If you are interested in this position, please upload:
- your CV
- a motivation letter
- 2 References
- proof of MSc or equivalent (diploma), if not yet available a proof of enrolment.
- excerpt of recent academic writing (e.g. part of thesis / article)
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each!
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature