1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Research bioinformatician with focus on translational medicine
From a shared ambition to be a leader in bioinformatics within the cardiology niche, you give substance to your own work in which excellence is your intrinsic …
- Hanzeplein, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
From a shared ambition to be a leader in bioinformatics within the cardiology niche, you give substance to your own work in which excellence is your intrinsic motivation. You join the successful scientific research line that aims to improve clinical outcome of patients with heart failure and work under the supervision of international experts in this field. You work together as a team with other disciplines (including cardiologists, epidemiologists and pharmacologists). The international network of the Department of Cardiology, UMCG allows you to collaborate with researchers from all over the world and international working visits and conferences are a logical derivative of this. You combine this with data-analysis support for clinicians working with clinical data and studies. This makes every day different and varied. Never a dull moment.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic bioinformatician/computational biologist with interest in the interaction between human functional genomics genetics, epigenetics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics. He/she would further strengthen and expand the research of the translational unit in the Department of Cardiology. The post-holder will be working closely with scientific staff to evaluate, develop, test and validate new algorithms and bioinformatics tools to assist in the interpretation of coding and noncoding RNA (e.g. microRNA, circular RNAs), DNA variants (SNPs, insertions, deletions, inversions), protein-protein interaction networks, machinelearning and the provision of bioinformatics training for staff within the department. You will have the opportunity to develop, use existing state-of-the-art, and innovate your existing pipelines of high-throughput data analyses.
You are highly encouraged to publish your work. There are close local collaborations with the Department of Genetics and Epidemiology and active international collaborations in Europe, the United States and Singapore.
- The candidate has a Masters or PhD in bioinformatics/computational biology, genomics, medical biology (with substantial components in mathematics, physics, computer science or information technology), or biology (with substantial components in bioinformatics, computer science, mathematics and statistics)
- A working understanding of basic biological concepts in biochemistry, molecular biology, statistical genomics, human genetics and a willingness for clinical translation of your work is required
- Experience in Omics data-analyses, integrative biology or systems biology/pathway medicine is a pre
- You will have experience with a variety of demonstrated skills with at least one of the following; C++, Perl, Python, JAVA, R or shell scripting and relational databases
- Experience with working in UNIX/LINUX is required
- Practical experience with genetic open source bioinformatics tools and biostatistics is desirable
- Willingness to travel and visit abroad to acquire relevant skills and facilitate collaborations is require
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (Dutch and/or English) are essential
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
In case of specific professions a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ is required.
Conditions- A highly motivated and productive work environment with an international staff working within the context of a large number of international collaborations
- Working with and learning from experienced members from a multidisciplinary team which includes clinicians, biologists, data scientists and bioinformatics scientists
- Access to some of the largest heart failure datasets in the world with multi-dimensional data including phenotypical, genomics, transcriptomics and proteomics data
- Support in grant writing from a number of highly experienced mentors with an extensive track record (European research council grants, ZonMW)
- Potential to lead own projects and present results at international conferences
This is a full-time appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension for a maximum of four years. The salary amounts to a maximum of € 4,361 gross per month (scale 10) depending on education and experience and on the basis of a full-time appointment. In addition, the UMCG offers 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. The employment conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for University Medical Centers (CAO-UMC).
For more information about this vacancy, contact: Prof. Adriaan Voors, cardiologist, email@example.com (please do not use for applications).
You can only apply via the digital application form at the bottom of this page. Immediately after sending, a standard acknowledgment of receipt will be emailed with information that is not relevant to this vacancy, because the aforementioned deadline does not apply to this vacancy. Your response will be processed immediately, and the vacancy will be open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please state in your CV the names and contact information of at least two references and add a short biosketch.
Additional informationUMCG Corporate information/research
Welcome to Groningen