PhD on Modulation and Multiplexing Techniques for Converged optical fiber and mm wave communications in 5G networks.
Assistant Professor Cultural Anthropology (up to 2 positions, each 0.8 to 1.0 FTE)
The mission of the Institute is to do research and to teach anthropology and sociology at undergraduate and graduate level. We are looking for candidates who …
- Begijnhof, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
The mission of the Institute is to do research and to teach anthropology and sociology at undergraduate and graduate level. We are looking for candidates who are qualified to teach courses and do research within the scope of our research program ‘Global Vulnerability and Social Resilience’, which focusses on the three interconnected themes of diversity, sustainability and digitalization. The candidate is expected to add to and complement in meaningful ways the Institute’s current expertise. Candidates with research and teaching experience in the anthropology of sustainability and of digital societies and methods are particularly welcome to apply. The candidate’s regional specialization is open.
- The candidates will teach courses at Bachelor and Masters level. From 2019/20, all lectures are taught in English;
- The candidates are required to supervise B.Sc. and M.Sc. theses;
- The candidates will contribute to the institute’s research output within the scope of the research program;
- The candidates may supervise junior research (for example Ph.D. candidates) within the scope of the research program;
- The candidates will acquire external substantial research funds within the scope of the Institute’s research program.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in Anthropology or Sociology, have a thorough knowledge of anthropological theories and debates as well as ethnographic methods, and an internationally competitive research profile;
- Applicants should have a promising publication record, notably international peer-reviewed publications and/or (forthcoming) monographs;
- Applicants should have experience of acquiring external research funds, and be willing and able to attract international and national research grants (such as the Netherlands Research Council (NWO) VENI and VIDI funding schemes or the European Research Council Starting Grant scheme);
- Applicants are innovative and inspiring teachers who have a strong commitment to teaching in graduate and undergraduate courses;
- Applicants are willing and able to meet the requirements for a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) within two years if they do not already possess a Dutch University Teaching Qualification;
- Applicants not speaking Dutch are willing and able to master a relevant level of linguistic competence (NT2) within a period of two years.
We offer a temporary position for one year starting 1st September 2018. Depending upon performance and budget, the appointment can be extended for a second year with a view to permanent employment. A permanent appointment may be possible after the temporary term depending on good performance and available budget. Conditions of good performance, consistent with the selection criteria, are set at the beginning of the contract. The gross salary depends on qualifications and experience and ranges between €3,475 to €5,405 gross per month (pay scale 11 or 12, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Additional information about this position can be obtained from the Institute's Scientific Director Professor Cristina Grasseni, email email@example.com.
If you have any enqueries about the procedure, please contact the Institute Manager, Ms. Ilse Prins, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +31 71 527 6787.
Please submit online your application no later than 25th May 2018via the blue button of our application system. Theselection procedure will take place in June/early July. Selected candidates will first be invited for an (online) pre-interview; some will be invited for in-person interview and job talk. You are kindly requested to be available in this period. Applicants should include:
- A one-page statement of interest indicating the names of two referees (cover letter);
- CV with list of publications;
- A one-page research statement covering current and future research plans;
- Two articles or papers;
- A one-page statement of teaching experience including sample syllabi and teaching evaluations.
Applicants should also ask their two referees to submit recommendation letters commenting on their professional qualifications and suitability for the position directly (i.e. not via the applicant nor via the online application system) by email with "CA applicant" in the subject line, to email@example.com.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.