As a postdoctoral scientist you will work independently on one or two projects that can be selected from a number of options. You will collaborate with and …
Assistant Professor Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation (with a focus on entrepreneurship)
The Faculty of Science at the University of Leiden is looking for an Assistant Professor Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation (with a focus on entrepreneurship)(0.8-1.0 FTE).
- Begijnhof, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
As part of its expansion, Science Based Business (SBB) at the University of Leiden’s Faculty of Science is recruiting an Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation to take the lead in the development of new research and teaching programs in technology entrepreneurship. SBB spans science, medicine, and business, focusing on areas such as technology management, innovation, entrepreneurship, operations, and decision making. SBB programs fuse business scholarship with technology and industry engagement, and accordingly forge strong relationships to other groups within the Faculty of Science and the Leiden University Medical School. Key themes around which SBB is forging collaborations across the university, and with industry are precision medicine, data sciences, and instrumentation. As part of its continuing expansion, SBB is developing new research and teaching programs in entrepreneurship.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Produce impactful, quality research in international top journals in the field of Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation;
- Provide leadership to the development of the New Technology Ventures (NTV) track of the Science Based Business (SBB) master specialisation, and the NTV course of the SBB minor at the Leiden University Faculty of Science;
- Develop and deliver courses on entrepreneurship topics with a focus on new business creation in technology-intensive industries;
- Forge collaborations with colleagues from across different institutes that make up the Faculty of Science, and LUMC, as well as industry partners at the Leiden BioScience park and beyond.
- A strong research record or demonstrated research potential in the area of entrepreneurial management with a focus on publishing articles in top journals;
- A doctoral degree in entrepreneurial management, or a related field by the time she/he assumes the position;
- Affinity with the multidisciplinary mission of Science Based Business that bridges scholarship and practice in management on the one hand, and the natural and biomedical sciences on the other hand;
- Leadership skills required to forge relationships with key stakeholders groups inside and outside the university, and push forward the new research and teaching initiatives tied to SBB;
- Excited to teach management subjects to undergraduate and/or postgraduate students with backgrounds in the sciences and biomedicine.
We offer a position for the duration of 5 years. Salary range for a full-time working week from €3,475 to €5,405 gross per month (pay scale 11 or 12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at www.workingat.leiden.edu/.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification staff.leiden.edu/h-r/training/utq/more/bko.html . If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Professor Simcha Jong, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Ariënne Bruin, email firstname.lastname@example.org , telephone +31 71 527 4551.
To apply for this vacancy, please send no later than 15 December 2017 an email to Marloes van der Nat via email@example.com. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A CV;
- A cover letter;
- The names of three references who can be contacted for shortlisted candidates.
Leiden is a typical university city, hosting the oldest university in the Netherlands (1575). The University permeates the local surroundings; University premises are scattered throughout the city, and the students who live and study in Leiden give the city its relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere.
Leiden University is one of Europe's foremost research universities. This prominent position gives our graduates a leading edge in applying for academic posts and for functions outside academia.Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, computer science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science.
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Computer Science Institute in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. According to our recent research visitation, we are one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands. We strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, fun, and diversity go hand in hand. For more information about LIACS, see www.cs.leiden.edu/.