Assistant Professor in the field of Plant Molecular Biology (Tenure Track)
The Faculty of Science and the Institute of Biology Leiden are looking for a candidate who can develop her/his own scientific group. The candidate is expected …
- Begijnhof, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
The Faculty of Science and the Institute of Biology Leiden are looking for a candidate who can develop her/his own scientific group.
The candidate is expected to develop a strong independent research line that is attractive for BSc, MSc and PhD students, and can successfully compete for funding at the national (NWO, STW, Top Sector) and international (ERC, EU) level. Preferably, the research line should be complementary to and thus strengthen the existing research on plant defense, development or genome editing. She/he will be expected to contribute to IBL’s BSc and/or MSc teaching program.
- A PhD in molecular (plant) science;
- An excellent track record with high impact publications;
- A broad international network;
- Experience with modern plant molecular and cellular techniques and bioinformatics;
- Affinity with mathematical modelling;
- A good command of the English language, both in speech and in writing;
- A good command of the Dutch language, or be prepared to learn the Dutch language;
- Successful in raising research funds;
- Energetic ‘out-of-the-box’ thinker with a clear view on a challenging research and education program;
- Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this certificate within two years. Within two years a language proficiency of a minimum at level B2 Dutch required.
Our Tenure Track is expected to lead to a tenured position as associate professor and grow into the role of a full professor. With our Tenure track we offer you a clear and inviting career path to support you in the development of your personal and professional talents. It has a strong focus on coaching and training. A special mentor program is offered with fellow Tenure Trackers in a peer group, in order to develop your academic leadership skills. For more information about our Tenure Track, see https://www.staff.universiteitleiden.nl/human-resources/hr-policy-and-code-of-conduct/hr-policy/career-policy-academic-staff/science/fnw-board-office?cf=science#tab-2.
The track consists of a temporary appointment for a period of six years maximum, possibly followed by a tenure position as associate professor, depending on performance. The gross monthly salary at assistant professor level ranges from €3,475 to €5,405 gross per month depending on your level of experience (pay scale 11 or 12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science/about-faculty-of-science/diversity.
Enquiries about the position can be made to Professor Remko Offringa, email: email@example.com, telephone +31 71 527 5097. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Mrs. Henrike Kogels: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should be sent no later than 15 June 2018, by email to Mrs. Henrike Kogels via email@example.com. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A motivation letter;
- A brief description of research interests and experience;
- A full CV (including a list of publications, and the names and addresses of at least two persons who have agreed to be contacted for references).