1 dag geleden - Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen - Groningen
Cryo-electron microscopy scientist
Leiden University, the Faculty of Science, the Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN) is looking for a Cryo-electron microscopy scientist
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
NeCEN is looking for a highly talented scientist preferably experienced in cryo-electron microscopy who would like to contribute to the performance of an advanced cryo-EM centre at a world-class level.
You will maintain optimal equipment performance and collect high-quality data as part of a team. You will be primarily responsible for sample loading, alignment, and data acquisition on the two Titan Krios microscopes, a Talos L120C TEM and an Aquilos Cryo-FIB to prepare cryo-lamellae for tomography. Additionally, EM scientists at NeCEN are offered to perform collaborative research and technical development (approx. 20% of the time) to help ensure NeCEN remains at the forefront of electron microscopy. Key responsibilities include:
- Together with the other EM scientists, take care of the advanced cryo-EM microscope equipment with their ancillaries;
- Ship, prepare, and load samples, align/tune microscopes prior to data collection, setup and oversee image acquisition, and evaluate data quality;
- Communicate experimental details to users, assist with data analysis in the context of collaborative projects and write experimental methods for resulting publications;
- Maintain ancillary equipment (cryo-plunger, glow discharger, etc.) and occasionally order consumables;
- Explore and implement improved data-collection strategies, including testing new software and hardware;
- Maintain accurate logs to monitor microscope performance, experimental conditions, usage, scheduling, and billing;
- Consult with other cryo-EM experts in the region and internationally by participating in cryo-EM meetings and workshops;
- Write clear documentation, establish facility procedures, and perform light administrative duties;
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends to ensure maximal use of microscopes.
- MSc or PhD in the fields of biology, chemistry, or physics;
- Previous experience in cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-FIB would be an advantage;
- Previous experience in maintaining microscopy equipment and working in a lab would be an advantage;
- A keen interest in contributing to and running an international centre for advanced cryo-electron microscopy;
- Good communication skills;
- Service oriented approach;
- Fluent written and spoken English.
We offer a full-time position with a maximum of three years, depending on experience. Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from €2,579,- to €4,274,- (pay scale 8 to 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. See for more information: http://workingat.leiden.edu/.