During this project you will develop and exploit an experimental setup able to measure the spatial diffusion of photo-excited electron-hole pairs (excitons) …
Lecturer/tutor in the region of South and South East Asia (teaching replacement)
Faculty of Humanities, International Studies is looking for a Lecturer/tutor in the region of South and South East Asia (teaching replacement) (0.6 FTE).
- Begijnhof, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 22 uur
- € 2588 - € 4048 per maand
- The lecturer/tutor will teach in the BA International Studies, offered at the Campus The Hague of Leiden University, by the Faculty of Humanities;
- Teaching duties primarily concern providing tutorials for the South and South East region as part of the courses offered in the degree programme. The tutorial groups consist of small groups of about 12 -15 students. The purpose of these small groups is to offer students the opportunity to discuss the subject matter of the lectures, and practise the academic skills of the students, such as research skills (including literature and primary source research), written and oral presentation, and debating skills;
- Besides teaching tutorials, these lecturing position will also involve the full responsibility for teaching an elective in International Studies, depending on the applicant’s availability;
- In addition, the lecturer will mark and assess student assignments and exams, supervise student papers, carry out office hours, and contribute to the administration of the course.
- Preferably a PhD in hand or a confirmed final examination (viva, oral defence) date before the start of the appointment;
- Formal training and expertise in the humanities or the social sciences, with an emphasis on the region of SSEA, preferably with knowledge of the region’s economy and political economy;
- Openness to interdisciplinary work;
- Comparative international outlook;
- Preferably two years’ experience with teaching tutorials and supervision in a multidisciplinary programme like International Studies;
- (Near-)native speaker of English;
- Experience in a multicultural and international classroom and work environment;
- Leiden University requires staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. In case the successful applicant does not possess this qualification or its equivalent, the Institute will offer support in obtaining it. During the process of obtaining this Teaching Qualification, lecturers will be offered the necessary guidance from the programme.
The appointment is initially for replacement. We offer a part-time, for 22,8 hours per week, fixed-term post from 15 December 2017 until 1 May or 1 July 2018 (depending on the applicant’s availability). The lecturer will be based at the campus of Leiden University in The Hague.
Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from €2,588 to €4,084 (pay scale10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Further information regarding this position can be obtained from Mrs. Dr. A.P. Paula Esteves dos Santos Jordao, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received no later than 27 October 2017, with the interviews with shortlisted candidates scheduled for 6 and 8 November 2017. Applications should be in English, and be submitted by email to email@example.com. Please ensure that you include in a single PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME – Given name – vacancy number and in this order:
- Letter of motivation including a personal vision of the field and its international, present-day development;
- CV that includes educational qualifications, employment history, publications, courses taught, tutorial experience, grants and awards, languages with indication of proficiency;
- Names, positions and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters);
- One course description including respective tutorial plans and assignments designed by the candidate herself or himself;
- Teaching evaluations.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.
Leiden is a typical university city, hosting the oldest university in the Netherlands (1575). The University permeates the local surroundings; University premises are scattered throughout the city, and the students who live and study in Leiden give the city its relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere.
Leiden University is one of Europe's foremost research universities. This prominent position gives our graduates a leading edge in applying for academic posts and for functions outside academia.Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague. More information on the BA International Studies can be found on www.hum.leiden.edu/internationalstudies.