PhD candidate, Sustainable Plant Protection
The Faculty of Science and the Institute of Biology are looking for a PhD candidate, Sustainable Plant Protection
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
Within the programme of the Dutch Science Agenda “Self Defense: Mimicking natural deterrent strategies in plants using adhesive spheres and volatiles” the PhD will be responsible for the development and testing of bioassays with trichome mimics (adhesive spheres) for their efficacy in
reducing thrips damage on plants. The candidate will do so in close collaboration with PhD’s from WUR and RUG that will be responsible for the development of the mimics. Once optimal spheres have been developed
defense compounds and repellant volatiles will be included in the trichome mimics. Some of the research activities will take place in collaboration with Aeres University of Applied Sciences. The final goal of the programme is to develop a marketable product for sustainable plant protection against insect herbivores.
- Relevant biological background with basic understanding of chemistry;
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience with plant herbivore interactions;
- A proven interest in plant horticulture;
- Good team player willing to take the goals set by the programme as a lead for his work;
- Innovative and Out of the Box thinker;
- Excellent communication skills involving science, education, private companies and society;
- Excellent English oral and writing skills;
- Basic Dutch oral and writing skills.
We offer a full-time 1 year term position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, personal capabilities and compatibility the appointment will be extended by a further three years. Salary range from € 2.395,- to € 3.061,- gross per month (pay scale P in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Science. Our graduate school offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.