PhD on Modulation and Multiplexing Techniques for Converged optical fiber and mm wave communications in 5G networks.
PhD in the field of single-molecule biophysics
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is looking for a PhD in the field of single-molecule biophysics (1.0 FTE).
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 2222 - € 2840 per maand
The PhD student will design and perform single-molecule experiments to understand how chaperones reshape folding landscape of proteins.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Establish the single-molecule research line;
- Design and perform experiments and data analysis;
- Train master student and supervise their research;
- Presentation of the results to team members and other associated partners;
- Contribution to grant writing activities;
- Contribution to our education program.
- An academic degree (MSc) in physics (experimental and/or theoretical) or engineering;
- Strong academic track record;
- Experience with working in an international environment;
- Good written and verbal English communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully work and get things done in teams.
We offer a position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, personal capabilities and compatibility the appointment will be extended by a further three years. Salary ranges from €2,222 to €2,840 gross per month (pay scale P in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
The appointment should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). A training & supervision plan will be drafted, including attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The PhD-student is also expected to assist in teaching undergraduates.
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Science. Our Graduate School offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Alireza Mashaghi, email email@example.com.
To apply for this vacancy, please send no later than 30 June 2018 an email to attn. Dr. Alireza Mashaghi at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, background, and qualifications for the position;
- A detailed CV (including a list of publications);
- Contact information of two references;
- Copies of diplomas and a list of your courses taken and grades obtained.