PhD in the fields of single molecule & single cell biophysics
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) are looking for a PhD in the fields of single molecule & single cell biophysics
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The PhD student will design and perform force spectroscopy-based experiments to understand biology at the single molecule and single cell levels. In this research, the student will combine experimental and theoretical/computational approaches. Force spectroscopy data will possibly be combined with the results of structural and network topology analysis and single cell omics.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Design and perform experiments and data analysis;
- Writing high quality scientific manuscripts;
- Presentation of the results to team members and other associated partners;
- Contribution to grant writing activities;
- Contribution to our education program.
The ideal candidate should fulfill (most of) the following criteria:
- An academic degree (MSc) in science with excellent records in of the following areas:
- Physics (experimental and/or theoretical) or engineering with related experience;
- Structural biology/biochemistry (extensive experience with protein engineering and purification);
- Immunology or cell biology.
- Experience with working in an international environment;
- Good written and verbal English communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully work and get things done in teams.
We offer a full-time position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, personal capabilities and compatibility the appointment will be extended by a further three years. Salary range from € 2.395,- to € 3.061,- gross per month (pay scale P, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. Additional budget allows for research visits abroad and attendance of international conferences. More at Overview of terms and conditions of employment - Leiden University
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Science. Our graduate school offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.