Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Postdoctoral researcher in Biochemistry of Microbial Growth & Development
The Faculty of Science and Institute of Biology Leiden is looking for a Postdoctoral researcher in Biochemistry of Microbial Growth & Development
- Sylviusweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
Actinobacteria are microorganisms that thrive in most environments and produce a wealth of bioactive natural products. They withstand challenging conditions by synthesizing a stress-bearing cell wall, which is highly conserved in bacteria. Our research focuses on growth and morphogenesis of filamentous Actinobacteria. For this project, we are looking for an excellent biochemist who is excited by cell-wall synthesis and cell division in Actinobacteria. In particular, we will further our understanding of peptidoglycan synthesis in space and time in these bacteria. The highly motivated postdoctoral researcher will investigate the function of key biosynthetic proteins required for peptidoglycan synthesis, during growth and division. The postdoc will become part of a diverse and interdisciplinary research team. Our strength is the shared passion in and collaborative nature of our research.
- A PhD degree with a strong background in biochemistry, molecular biology and microbiology;
- Strong affinity with biochemical techniques necessary to perform structure-function studies on cell wall biosynthetic enzymes and to investigate cell wall architecture;
- An excellent publication record;
- A critical mindset with the ability to think outside the box, with a can-do and collaborative attitude;
- Excellent grasp of the English language and proven proficiency in scientific writing;
- Experience in supervising students and/or technicians.
We offer a full-time 1 year term position, with the possibility of 2 year renewal based on need, funding and performance (3 years in total). Salary range from € 2.790,- to € 4.402,-, gross per month (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.