Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Postdoctoral researcher in Computational Biology/Toxicology
Leiden University, the Faculty of Science and Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research are looking for a Postdoctoral researcher in Computational Biology/Toxicology
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 38 uur
In this project, we aim to construct mechanistic, data-driven computational models of cellular stress response pathways. These pathways protect cells against perils such as exposure to toxins but may fail to be protective, for example when mutations lead to their dysregulation and ultimately to cancer. The project takes place in the research group of Joost Beltman (Division of Drug Discovery and Safety, Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research – LACDR), yet will make use of data acquired by in-house collaborators within the same division. These data consist of high-throughput imaging data of various fluorescent reporters at the single cell level over time following exposure to different toxic compounds. In the project, these in-house data will be exploited to quantitatively describe the dynamics of stress response pathway activation and the relation to cell death using mathematical models. Specific goals of the project include (1) understanding and prediction of cellular responses in scenarios in which cells are repeatedly exposed to compounds and (2) to investigate the benefit of employing machine learning approaches in the formulation of mechanistic models. Model predictions will be tested experimentally by in-house collaborators, after which the models will be refined.
- Quantitative analysis of experimental data (primarily imaging data);
- Construction of mathematical models describing cellular response dynamics at various levels;
- Reporting of results at project meetings and conferences;
- Publication of results in high-quality peer-reviewed journals;
- Supervision of BSc and MSc thesis projects and teaching assistance during courses;
- Contribution to ongoing projects of PhD students.
- PhD degree in a relevant mathematical or computational discipline, preferably in computational biology/toxicology;
- Strong interest in biological questions;
- Experience with differential equation modeling and/or machine learning techniques, preferably applied to experimental cell-biological measurements;
- Proficient in spoken and written English;
- An independent and creative team player.
We offer a full-time postdoc position for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal depending on performance. Salary ranges from € 2.709,- to € 4.274 gross per month (pay scale 10) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries about the position or procedure can be made to Dr. Joost Beltman, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.