Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Professor by special appointment
The Stichting Socrates and the Faculty of Humanities are looking for a Professor by special appointment (bijzonder hoogleraar) for the chair ‘Philosophical Anthropology and the Foundations of Humanism’
- Cleveringaplaats, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The special chair “Philosophical Anthropology and the Foundations of Humanism” established by the Stichting Socrates at Leiden University is one of several part-time chairs at universities in the Netherlands sponsored by the Stichting Socrates in order to further academic knowledge of and insight into current social problems from a humanist perspective. Holders of special chairs typically also have a (part-time) appointment at another university or knowledge-based institution.
The holder of this special chair will become a full member of the academic community of the Institute of Philosophy, and will be expected to devote one day per week to teaching and research at Leiden. We expect that the special professor will give one course per year for the entire university community on the theme earmarked by the foundation, and a second course per year in the regular Leiden BA or MA programmes in Philosophy. In some cases, this second course may be replaced by supervision of PhD projects.
- To conduct scholarly research in the field of philosophical anthropology and the foundations of humanism;
- To carry out teaching in Dutch and English for the university community and in the BA and MA programmes Filosofie/Philosophy, including thesis supervision;
- To initiate, stimulate, and supervise doctoral research;
- To bring the field to the attention of a wide audience, in the Netherlands and abroad, by means of lectures and publications in conventional and new media.
- PhD degree in a relevant field;
- Solid international research portfolio and reputation in philosophical anthropology and the foundations of humanism;
- Experience in supervising PhD research;
- Ability to attract research funding;
- Broad teaching experience and outstanding teaching qualities;
- Fluency in Dutch and English;
- Possession of the University Teaching Qualification (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs) or willingness to acquire it in the Leiden setting.
The chairholder will not be employed by the University Leiden, the Collective Labour Agreement NU (Dutch Universities) does not apply. The Stichting Socrates will appoint the chairholder and makes a fund available. The chair will be established at Leiden University, the Institute for Philosophy for the period of five years from 1 February 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter, for 0,2 fte (7,6 hours per week).
Diversity is one of our university’s core values in research and teaching. We especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries may be directed to the Academic Director of the Institute for Philosophy, James McAllister, email firstname.lastname@example.org.