Professor in Stem cell technology for innovative drug research
Leiden University, the Faculty of Science and Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research are looking for a Professor in Stem cell technology for innovative drug research (1.0 FTE)
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 38 uur
In the coming years we will be implementing an ambitious investment programme that will further expand our research profile and the associated teaching. To further strengthen the five clusters, we will be carrying out a targeted incentive programme. Central to this is a series of topics that have been developed by the faculties and that have a significant scientific, societal and/or cultural impact. These are all topics in which the faculties would like to intensify their mutual collaboration.
The aim of this investment programme is to attract and promote academic talent to each of these topics. The academics that we are seeking for these programmes have a broad profile: they are excellent in their own discipline, and are willing and able to work with others to develop new research lines and expand existing ones. They will do so by working beyond faculty boundaries and by securing external funding. Connection is the keyword of this investment programme.
One of the topics in which the university intends to invest extra funds is ‘Regenerative Medicine’. Regenerative medicine holds the promise of functional recovery of diseased organs, tissue and cells. The same knowledge and technology for regenerative medicine will resolve the increasing demand for representative cellular model systems to investigate mechanisms of human disease and identify innovative therapeutic agents. We seek a professor in pluripotent stem cell technology fordrug discovery and development. At the Faculty of Science (Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research) complementary expertise is sought to apply pluripotent stem cell biology to generate advanced human relevant micro-physiological models and associated disease models enabling discovery of relevant pathways, target proteins and drugs, through system biology and advanced screening, as well as predicting the effectiveness and safety of medicines in relation to 'personalized therapy'. For more information on the topic, see: Regenerative Medicine.
- Conduct research in the field of primarily, but not exclusively, (human induced) pluripotent stem cell technologies for innovative drug discovery and development;
- Give shape to the topic of ‘Regenerative Medicine’ and take responsibility for its further development, working in close collaboration with internal and external partners, and encourage the development of a vision on the topic;
- Make a substantial contribution to acquiring external funds;
- Contribute to the development of a new generation of young academics;
- Teach at different levels of the curriculum and actively contribute to innovative teaching and to the translation of the research into teaching;
- Convey the academic knowledge and insights acquired to society.
- A doctorate in a relevant discipline;
- Excellent research skills, as is evident from, for example, publications in renowned international journals and active participation in international academic and professional networks;
- Wide experience of and demonstrable success in external fundraising and helping others to raise funds;
- A track record as an academic leader;
- Demonstrable experience in leading research teams and supervising PhD candidates and/or postdocs, for instance as principal investigator;
- A strong focus on (interdisciplinary) collaboration and encouraging team achievements;
- Excellent teaching abilities, enthusiasm and drive. Vision on teaching, teaching methods and curriculum development;
- A pronounced interest in and experience of academic leadership and governance.
An appointment in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, for an initial duration of five years. The salary will range from a minimum of € 5.582,- to a maximum of € 8.127,- gross per month for a full-time appointment. The exact salary will depend on experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive package of benefits including an end-of-year bonus (8.3%), a holiday allowance (8%), excellent training opportunities, sabbatical leave and paid parental leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For more information please see: Job application procedure and employment conditions.
Leiden University attaches great importance to the quality of its teaching. It therefore requires all academic staff with teaching duties to possess the University Teaching Qualification or be prepared to earn this within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Bob van de Water, email:firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: +31 71 527 6223.