1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
University Lecturer in African and Comparative Philosophy
Leiden University, the Institute of Philosophy of The Faculty of Humanities, is looking for an University Lecturer in African and Comparative Philosophy
- Reuvensplaats, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 38 uur
The Institute of Philosophy is seeking to strengthen its research and teaching initiatives, which include English-taught BA and MA tracks in global and intercultural philosophy. We offer a full-time (38 hours per week), fixed-term post for the period of two years from 1 August 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and funding. The successful candidate will take on the following responsibilities commensurate with career stage:
- Scholarly research in African philosophy, comparative philosophy, and other areas of philosophy, and dissemination of findings through appropriate channels;
- Teaching African philosophy, comparative philosophy, and other areas of philosophy in English in our BA and MA programmes in Philosophy and in other Leiden University degree programmes as required, including supervision of BA and MA theses;
- Teaching in Dutch in due course;
- Supervision of PhD research;
- Acquisition of research funding;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media;
- Active participation in running the institution.
- PhD degree in philosophy;
- Publication record in African philosophy and comparative philosophy commensurate with career stage;
- Original research plans in the above areas;
- Teaching experience in the above areas and commitment to high-quality teaching practice;
- Teaching competence in philosophy of race and gender, colonial and postcolonial studies, and broader areas of philosophy is an added advantage;
- Excellent command of English;
- For non-Dutch-speaking candidates, commitment to learn Dutch to level B1 within two years. The institute facilitates Dutch-language learning with reimbursement of costs and teaching relief for an approved training programme;
- Team player, but also able to carry out independent research and teaching;
- Flexible, enterprising, and enthusiastic.
We offer a full-time fixed-term post for the period of two years from 1 August 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and funding. Salary range, depending on training and experience, from €2.709,- to €4.978,- (pay scale 10 to 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model offers some freedom to assemble a personalised set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. There is a Dual Career Programme for international spouses.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the UTQ. If the successful applicant does not already possess it or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this qualification within two years.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values in research and teaching. We especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups. Women and members of ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Enquiries may be directed to James McAllister, academic director of the Institute of Philosophy, e-mail email@example.com, tel. +31 71 527 2004.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature