In the context of a joint research project between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), we offer three …
University Lecturer in International Relations
The Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History is looking for a University Lecturer in International Relations (2 positions, 1.0 FTE).
- Marislaan, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
- Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, in lecture and seminar formats, and supervision of theses in the BA International Studies and the MA International Relations programs.
- Original research and regular dissemination of the results through appropriate channels.
- Administrative duties, commensurate with career stage.
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
For this position we are specifically looking for candidates with an affinity with the study of international affairs from a humanities perspective, e.g. with a proven interest in historical, cultural and non-Western approaches, which inform the core of the inquiries in our two programs. We offer two positions and would in particular welcome applications with either an expertise in international security, environmental security, human security and war studies, or with a background in international political economy or European Studies.
- A PhD degree in the field of International Relations, European Studies or in a closely related field
- A publication record that is commensurate with career stage.
- Proven experience in teaching at University level, including official teaching evaluations.
- An excellent command of English.
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the lecturer may be required to enter a nationally standardized teaching skills certification trajectory (University Teaching Qualification).
The appointment is for 38 hours per week in temporary employment for two years, with the possibility of a permanent position thereafter. Preferred starting date is 1 August 2018. The rank of lecturer corresponds roughly to that of assistant professor in North-American terms. The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch Universities (cao) and depending on qualifications and experience, the gross monthly salary is €3,475 to €5,405 (pay scale 11 or 12) for a full working week.
Depending on qualifications, the appointee may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until he/she fully meets the requirements for scales 11/12 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Further information for this position can be obtained from Professor Isabelle Duyvesteyn, email email@example.com.
Applications should be in English, and be submitted no later than 15 May 2018 to the International Relations Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the items listed below included in this order in a single PDF documents named ‘ FAMILY NAME/Position International Relations’:
- CV including education and employment history, publications and courses taught;
- A letter of motivation, which shows clear affinity with and specific knowledge of the area of International Relations (max. 1 page);
- A research agenda, with the potential for (inter)national grant application (max. 1.5 page);
- Two sample course description of electives taught at either the BA or MA level on topics related to International Relations (max. 1 page each)
- Names, positions, and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
Interviewees will be invited to give a 20 minutes mock-lecture and a 10 minutes research presentation.