University Lecturer in Modern Latin American History
The Faculty of Humanities, the Leiden University Institute for History is looking for a University Lecturer in Modern Latin American History
- Cleveringaplaats, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The lecturer will hold a position in the Institute for History. In this institute he/she will join the history section of Latin American Studies and the Bachelor International Studies. The Bachelor programme in Latin American Studies is taught in Dutch and Spanish, while the courses at the Master level are taught in Spanish and English. The tasks consist of:
- Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels in the BA, MA and ResMa programmes in Latin American Studies and at the Bachelor International Studies. Supervision of BA and MA theses;
- Teaching duties may include courses on Latin American foreign relations, Latin American politics from a regional dimension, and developmental issues, among other topics;
- Research, applying for funding, and publishing through appropriate academic channels;
- Administrative duties at academic committees both within the Latin American Studies programme and at the faculty level;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and in public media.
- A PhD degree in Latin American studies focused on relevant contemporary issues;
- Specialist knowledge of contemporary Latin American history, politics and society, with a demonstrable expertise on the field of current public policies in Latin America;
- Excellent knowledge of present-day theories and academic interpretations of the main socio-economic, political and developmental issues in Latin America from both national and regional perspectives;
- The ability to work from interdisciplinary perspective (including history, culture and social sciences) is a must;
- Research experience in Latin America;
- A research and publication record that is commensurate with career stage;
- A very good academic teaching record, including formal teaching evaluations and wide thematic teaching scope;
- An excellent command of English and Spanish;
- If the lecturer does not speak Dutch, s/he will be required to acquire sufficient proficiency in Dutch within two years from taking up duty;
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the lecturer is required to obtain a nationally standardized teaching skills certification (Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs, or BKO);
- Demonstrable experience in administrative duties at academic committees within university structures is recommendable;
- Due to the current composition of our team, our preference goes for a female colleague.
The appointment (0.8 FTE) is a temporary employment from 1 February 2021 to 1 August 2023, with no possibility for extension. The rank of lecturer corresponds roughly to that of assistant professor in North-American terms. depending on qualifications and experience, the gross monthly salary is € 2.790,- to € 5.127,- (scale 10 to 11 in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch Universities) for a full working week. Depending on qualifications, the appointee may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until he/she fully meets the requirements for scales 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University also offers an annual holiday premium of 8% and an end-of-year premium of 8,3%. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. We encourage all staff to learn Dutch and offer access to language classes.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity, inclusiveness and equal opportunities within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Further information for this position can be obtained from Professor Patricio Silva, email P.Silva@hum.leidenuniv.nl.